Upgrade tank

DDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am always thankful for your replies. Whenever I am in problem.

My family wants to upgrade the tank so what I understood as we have corals we can use the old tank waters media , except sand.

Please tell me which sand to use , which bacteria to add and above all for making new water which bacteria I should use.

Because I don’t want any casualties in my tank moreover due to lack of space I cannot keep both the tanks at same time.

Looking forward for your experience and help.

Regards
DDK

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ime (limited) if the old tank is less than 6 months old you should be able to transfer the sand too. If your not happy with this I like the caribee sea special grade. it doesnt get blown around too much as the grains are not as fine. As for water dont make my mistake use rodi water and from what i have read dr tims one and only or micro bacter 7 is a good initial bacteria..good luck on the move

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you carry your rocks over the tank will insta-cycle, you can safely move all your animals over right away. Its the rocks, not the sand or water, that will keep everything alive and healthy.

The sand should be rinsed super well before moving over, you put sand in a bucket, and rinse it with tap water over and over and over until you can stir the sand and the water stays clear and clean. Then you can add the sand. Or buy new sand if you don't want to have the trouble to clean it. But even new sand should be rinsed IMO.

I did upgrade 2 tanks earlier this year, no fish loss, nothing lost.

Position and fill up the new tank, when you ready, move all rocks over, then catch and transfer all the fish.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some important info missing, size of old tank, amount of rock in old set up, age of old set up. Its possible that if all your rock is well established and you intend on using it that will be more than sufficient to keep everyone happy in the new tank. I'm upgrading right now also and I intend to cycle the new tank with ammonium chloride and one of the microbacter products ( i have always had good luck using their products with new tanks). Once that is cycled I will move all of my media and rocks from the old tank over which I have no doubt would also instantly cycle the new tank. Why do it this way? Because I have time to do it and it wont hurt.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is sixty pages of tank moves and upgrades

all jobs are done the same way for each tank

spend a few hours studying the jobs there and it will cover all transfer questions

as you are studying notice this detail:

we never used bacteria in the new tank

we used all new water in the new tank

the sand used in the new tank is rinsed 100% clean before use in the new tank

OP
OP
D

DDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the answers, a great respect and thanks

My old tank is 5 feet and now moving to Cade 6 feet.

Rocks and corals are very well established.

Please any light more before I upgrade.

Regards
DDK

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back