• Who cares

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I currently have an IM NUVO 38 AIO. Great tank that got me back in the hobby after many years away. I recently moved and have my wife’s blessing to upgrade and get a bigger tank. A 36” or 48” will fit in the space I am looking at placing the tank. I’ve been doing lots of research and looking at other members tanks and have narrowed my search to the following: RedSea XL300, Waterbox 100.3 and 130.4, Planet Aquarium Reef 48” and Premium Reef 48”, and finally the Fijicube 81g EXT or 108g EXT. Any input / recommendations are appreciated, also if you have any of the tanks mentioned - what do you DISLIKE about the tank? Going to try to post a poll to get an idea on input. Thanks in advance.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for the biggest one you can afford and/or will fit in the spacer you will just be looking at upgrading in a year or two anyway! Personally I’ve never been a fan of these “kit” type systems. I’ve always preferred to buy a tank and stand then buy the equipment I want and DIY a sump.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for the biggest one you can afford and/or will fit in the spacer you will just be looking at upgrading in a year or two anyway! Personally I’ve never been a fan of these “kit” type systems. I’ve always preferred to buy a tank and stand then buy the equipment I want and DIY a sump.

I used to love building and plumbing fish tanks back in the day. However, these days with two littles (2.5 and 1yr old) I don’t really have the time to do that which is why I am opting for one of the kit systems. I also need to get it up and running soon so I can transfer everything from the NUVO.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love building and plumbing fish tanks back in the day. However, these days with two littles (2.5 and 1yr old) I don’t really have the time to do that which is why I am opting for one of the kit systems. I also need to get it up and running soon so I can transfer everything from the NUVO.
No shame in doing what works for you. I stand by my comment on size, a 48” tank open up several nice species of tangs and other fish like triggers. I always viewed 4 feet as the gateway to big fish.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No shame in doing what works for you. I stand by my comment on size, a 48” tank open up several nice species of tangs and other fish like triggers. I always viewed 4 feet as the gateway to big fish.

Good point on the tangs, would love to have a nice powder blue or purple.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back