Upgraded Skimmer with smaller neck

  • Thread starter Thread starter asome_one
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

asome_one

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 13, 2019
Messages
146
Reaction score
49
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I solved an issue using an oversized skimmer with a low bioload tank. I saw some BRS videos say they sell skimmers with various-sized necks to "grow" with your tank. Well, I kept having issues with not enough nutrients to produce any type of stable foam head. 30 minutes in Fusion and 3 hours on the printer, and now I have a drop in reduced skimmer neck. It is producing very wet skimmate. However, it is now consistent. Only issue is that I cant easily adjust the foam height based on sight anymore. I have to go based on skimmate produced alone.

20250403_174051.jpg 20250403_174152.jpg 20250403_174201.jpg
 
That’s a less known trick not many reefers are aware of. Nice ti see there’s even a commercial variation of it now days.

Before 3D printers were popular some reefers used to DIY reducers using PVC pipes but I’ve also seen them 3D printed in the past, which I think works far better than trying to match pipe diameters to perfectly fit in the neck.

Perfect example of how a 3D printer should go hand in hand with a reef tank.
 
Does this eliminate the gunk build up in the neck? I think my bio load may be small for my skimmer and I was considering building a neck wiper, but if the reduced diameter solves it, then I won’t mess with it!
 
Does this eliminate the gunk build up in the neck? I think my bio load may be small for my skimmer and I was considering building a neck wiper, but if the reduced diameter solves it, then I won’t mess with it!
If you think that because you can't see the gunk that means it's eliminated....than yes. Haha no it doesn't. There's still buildup. It does, for me at least, lead to a very wet skim that in itself helps prevent substantial buildup but it's still there. I haven't had to clean it since I installed it about a month ago.
 
If you think that because you can't see the gunk that means it's eliminated....than yes. Haha no it doesn't. There's still buildup. It does, for me at least, lead to a very wet skim that in itself helps prevent substantial buildup but it's still there. I haven't had to clean it since I installed it about a month ago.
I am in the position of needing to clean it every 3-4 days for it to produce a good skim mate. Maybe a smaller neck is a good idea
 
I am in the position of needing to clean it every 3-4 days for it to produce a good skim mate. Maybe a smaller neck is a good idea
It's worth a shot if you have your own printer. It's an easy cad file to make!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new