upgrading 20 to 60

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am fairly new to the hobby, and I would like to learn as much as possible so I can raise my chances for success. I previously had a freshwater tank for years and about 6 months ago I decided it was time to start saltwater, becasue I like a challenge. I had converted my old tank which is a 20-gallon tank to saltwater. I gave my friend all of the freshwater fish. I have had my 20-gallon saltwater tank running for about 3 months and then I decided that if I was going to put in all the time and effort I would like a bigger tank so the water parameters would not fluctuate as much. A couple of days ago I purchased a 60-gallon tank. I have an aqua clear 110 hang on the back filter running on it right now, with nature ocean live sand, also I am using RODI water. I don't have enough space to have both tanks running for a long time so, I am planning on in around a week to add my Orchid Dottyback and 2 ocellaris clownfish to the 60-gallon tank. I also made the mistake of buying a LTA too early, I know this was a bad mistake but I can't do anything about it now and I have learned. i have around 12 pounds of live rock in the 20 gallon and I just got 10 more pounds of live rock. Does anyone have any tips on how I should approach this becasue there is not a lot of info on transferring aquariums? Thanks!!!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cure the new liverock in the new tank. Once it is cured so there is no ammonia I would add the contents of your 20 and take down the 20. This should not cause a any problem as long as that new liverock is cured. I could not tell if you currently have the clownfish in your 20, but if not then I would wait a month or so before buying them. If you already have them in the 20 and the liverock can handle the bioload you should be fine.

Good Luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back