upgrading 3x the tank size

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am about to be getting a new upgrade in the next week or 2. I currently have a 150 ltr system and the new system is 400 ltr.
What would be the best way of setting it up.
Do I keep the existing tank running and let the new tank go through a cycle of its own?
Do I move all rockwork, filter system bio blocks refugium etc fish and corals all on day 1 and essentially do a huge water change or water dilution if that's a thing?
I have some very skittish fish and shrimp and the one thing I don't want to do is loose any.
I moved my existing tank between houses about 12 months ago and it all went well but with the new tank I guess I will need new sand and maybe some extra rock will the current rockwork be enough to maintain the "cycle" of the system

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either cycle the new tank or insta-cycle it with something like Bio-Spira. In the latter scenario, you add new sand and rock, saltwater and get everything running smoothly. Then you add the Bio-Spira and move your existing rock, corals, fish and inverts across.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either cycle the new tank or insta-cycle it with something like Bio-Spira. In the latter scenario, you add new sand and rock, saltwater and get everything running smoothly. Then you add the Bio-Spira and move your existing rock, corals, fish and inverts across.
I would do the latter scenario. It works well and is what I have done in the past (upgraded from a fluval evo to a 75 gallon overnight) and plan to do the same for my eventual future upgrade from the 75 gallon

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this a few times. I went from a 10 gallon to a 28 gallon to a 65 gallon. Get the new rock and sand and fix your aquascape how you like but leave space for the rock you currently have. Transfer the rock from the current aquarium to the new one and transfer everything over. DO NOT increase your bio load (ie get new fish, clean up crew, etc), until you see the new rock starting to color up. The rock you transferred over can handle what it was handling in your own tank. You just have a larger volume of water. However, if your old rock is just nasty or overgrown with algae and you don’t want to reuse it then you’re going to have to do a traditional cycle and keep the old tank running. I personally have not lost any critters doing it the way I described but it’s up to you. It is literally an instatank if your current rock is cycled. I recently setup a 13.5 gallon and used some rock from my 65 gallon and it didn’t cycle at all. This is it 6 months later.
image.jpg
916D330C-13D6-4C06-B7F5-CE3BCE90C6AD.jpeg

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys! My current setup there isn't much sand space and I have just enough room that my conchs and a single sand sifting star fish can just move around. So I am not even sure I will add much more rockwork. I have had 1kg of bio spheres added to sump for the past month to added a bit extra for the new tank. I also had 2 of the bricks in the sump before as well so im hoping that will be enough to keep the cycle going.
I am a little concerned about the starfish actually if i put new sand in so Maybe il move that to one of my other tanks.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this a few times. I went from a 10 gallon to a 28 gallon to a 65 gallon. Get the new rock and sand and fix your aquascape how you like but leave space for the rock you currently have. Transfer the rock from the current aquarium to the new one and transfer everything over. DO NOT increase your bio load (ie get new fish, clean up crew, etc), until you see the new rock starting to color up. The rock you transferred over can handle what it was handling in your own tank. You just have a larger volume of water. However, if your old rock is just nasty or overgrown with algae and you don’t want to reuse it then you’re going to have to do a traditional cycle and keep the old tank running. I personally have not lost any critters doing it the way I described but it’s up to you. It is literally an instatank if your current rock is cycled. I recently setup a 13.5 gallon and used some rock from my 65 gallon and it didn’t cycle at all. This is it 6 months later.
image.jpg
916D330C-13D6-4C06-B7F5-CE3BCE90C6AD.jpeg
Just to clarify you didn’t use new cycled rock? You used dry rock with your old cycled rock? Or new cycled rock? Could I do dry rock with my cycled rock when upgrading?

I want to upgrade from a 20 gallon to reefer250 which is 64 gallons I believe total.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference would always be to have the old tank running while the new tank cycles and settles but most people need to do same day transfers because of space, equipment etc...

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a little update I managed to move my old tank but keep it running and decided to go the slow route.
I just bought new sand and took half the filter media out of the current system and cycling it and dosing it a bit to get the same alk levels as I run a slightly higher alk in my current system then what the salt mixes at.
I think il add a couple fish to the system at the end of the week to help with keeping the bacteria fed. Not sure how long the mrs will put up with 3 tanks in the living room

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back