Upgrading flow(22.4g AIO) for new small fish

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up some Green band gobies that are about 2 centimeters

20240302_110830[1].jpg

This aquarium has been setup for over a year with a 226gph return and the Hygger mini 1600gph.
I have a neon goby in there and he has been fine but these new guys are really small and I want to get a Yasha Goby next so I will have a lot of tiny fish.

I want to keep LPS and softies in this aquarium at some point.

Would it be a good idea to upgrade the return pump and remove the powerhead?

BRS's website says 300 gph is the max flow for the tank.
I am considering a hygger 396gph DC pump. I hope That would work since I can turn it down.

20240302_110830[1].jpg

20240302_110830[1].jpg

Last edited:

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which tank is it? Size? Why does BRS say 300 gph? Based on plumbing size or tank size?

If the DC pump is controllable then that's fine. Or you can always setup a manifold to return some flow.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of a max gph for a tank, but I think you should leave it. Fish and corals like flow, what is your reason to want to reduce the flow?

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would it be a good idea to upgrade the return pump and remove the powerhead?
I am considering a hygger 396gph DC pump. I hope That would work since I can turn it down.

I wouldn’t worry about the return pump so much, it is nice to have a DC pump so you can adjust it, but you adjust it once and that’s about it. Also your filtration doesn’t need high flow, just your corals.

If you plan on getting corals you’ll end up wanting the power head so you can move it around and adjust the flow to your corals. Your return pump outlet is fixed and has a constant flow which tends to not provide the wavy or pulsatile flow you want for your corals.
(It is possible to to get return pumps that have wave action modes but this will mess with your overflow and auto top off so not worth messing with.)

If your itching to spend money on something, buy a soft coral and see how it does, it will probably make you much happier.

P.s. most corals like a strong indirect flow, enough to move them but not tear their skin off like getting blasted with a fire hose. There are tons of YouTube videos with examples.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back