Upgrading from first tank

Bradlas

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 12, 2020
Messages
32
Reaction score
31
Location
Wilkes County
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am pretty new to the hobby and reef2reef. I started a little more than a year ago with a 36 gallon bow front from Petsmart. I decided to go DIY with it as much as possible. I went ahead and drilled the back of the tank and made my own overflow box out of acrylic. I decided to try a mix of a few LPS Corals and some Fish. It went fairly well, so after about 8 months I decided to upgrade and this time went with a 75 Gallon Deep Blue Tank with an internal overflow. I like the idea of DIY projects so I did a little bit myself with building the stand. I would ultimately like a mixed reef. I am still learning from this tank but am now about 4 months into it and things seem to be going well. I do have a sudden Green Hair Algae bloom in the last month which is driving me crazy. Here is a list of what I am running currently. Some of it is under sized because it is what I used on my 36 gallon while others are over sized for upgrades. If any one has suggestions for improvement for equipment on a mid grade budget or help with this GHA I have been fighting for a month with water changes and removal, i'd love the input.

Here is my lived stock:
Flame Angel
Bicolor Angel
Green Mandarin
Anthias
Yellow Tang
1 Ocellaris Clown (One of them jumped out :-( )
6 line wrasse

Coral and Inverts:
3x Red Bubble Tip (They split recently)
Elegance Coral (Fairly large with 5 Polyps)
Torch Coral (Growing great)
Hammer Coral (went from 3 to 9 polyps in 6 months)
Blue Mushroom (Trying a small Frag)
Birds nest Acro (Trying a Small Frag)
GSP (Not doing well at all)
Pulsing Xenia (Not growing too fast) From what I hear I should be happy with that.

Honestly, I don't seem to have much luck with softies but LPS seems to do very well and I am hopeful for some SPS success.

In,.,v, .m Tank equipment:
4x AI Prime 16 HD
2X Hydor Koralia 425 gph (Undersized?)

In Sump:
Hydor ATO system
750 GPH Return Pump
Reef Octo 150SSS Skimmer (Yes oversized)
Filter Sock
Filter media (carbon and floss) placed in the baffles
300 Watt Heater (Cheapo Aqueon- I want to upgrade)
1 Lowes grade lamp to grow algea in the refugium.

Pictures to come soon!
 
You could get a macro algae with chaeto and/or diy an algae scrubber
 
Here are some the tank currently. Need to get a camera filter for the future.

20201011_090905.jpg 20200920_143514.jpg 20201011_090914.jpg
 
I just got some netting, scrubbed it with sandpaper, and put it in with a light
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new