Upgrading in the near future, advice

Om3gatyp3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm going to be upgrading from my WB 25 to the WB 110.4 in the "hopefully" near future. Waiting on the wife's approval lol.

I'm hoping to make it as seamless as possible so I can shut down the 25 and transfer my corals to the bigger tank right away.

I'm going to get Marco rock for this and will do a NSA, but here is where I am torn and I'm not sure the best approach as I have never transfered before.

- Get rock now and start cycle in bin. (Would I revert the cycle by doing the aquascape and having the rock out of the water for an extended time while the glue/mortar sets.)
- Get rock when new tank arrives, build scape and throw in current tanks rock into the dispay/sump and remove over time once new rock is "established".
- Is there a better way that I'm not thinking of?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the new rock you want, start cycling it about a month before your new tank arrives and get enough Bio-Spira for the system volume of the new tank. You may want new sand as well. Then simply setup the new tank, add the sand, cycled rock and Bio-Spira. Move fish, corals, inverts and existing rocks from your smaller tank to the new one at your convenience.

OP
OP
Om3gatyp3

Om3gatyp3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the new rock you want, start cycling it about a month before your new tank arrives and get enough Bio-Spira for the system volume of the new tank. You may want new sand as well. Then simply setup the new tank, add the sand, cycled rock and Bio-Spira. Move fish, corals, inverts and existing rocks from your smaller tank to the new one at your convenience.
Was planning on BB. Not wanting to use the old rock but only transfer it for seeding purposes. Will only incorporate the peices with encrusted coral. Should work the same?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back