Upgrading lighting inside the hood

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to clear this up before I get started. I don’t want to get Steve’s LEDs because they’re insanely expensive.

Anyways, I have a Biocube 32 and I want to upgrade the lighting but I also don’t want to sacrifice the good. As most people know who own these tanks, there’s only one or two alternatives that people manufacture: Steve’s LEDs (ridiculously expensive) and Nano something something (I forgot the name) but they don’t make those anymore
I want to see if any of y’all have been able to successfully mount a light underneath the hood of the these tanks. I have seen a few methods but most are beyond my budget (no more than 250-300 ish). Anyways, please share, I’d highly appreciate it.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go with current led strips. Take out the stock lighting hardware and use two of their strips inside the stock plastic housing. I would recommend using the metal legs that come with the current led light so the lights aren’t resting directly in the plastic. I would also take out and replace the stock fan with one or two new higher powered computer fans.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no escaping spending money in this hobby, especially when you go mod'ing things
Never said there was. There is such thing as saving money which is my goal.
You can go with current led strips. Take out the stock lighting hardware and use two of their strips inside the stock plastic housing. I would recommend using the metal legs that come with the current led light so the lights aren’t resting directly in the plastic. I would also take out and replace the stock fan with one or two new higher powered computer fans.
I'll consider this, thanks!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I want to cut a hole in it. I just don’t know which lights people use
I’ve seen a hole cut with a single kessil on top. They made the hole big enough for the lens but, small enough to be able to sit the kessil on top.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a hole cut with a single kessil on top. They made the hole big enough for the lens but, small enough to be able to sit the kessil on top.
Ok, I'll look into this. I would probably put an A80 on it because its affordable and quality.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back