Upgrading my 29G Oceanic Biocube

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ALL

Looking at my 29G Biocube for the past couple of weeks and it looks pretty sad looking. Meaning is empty no color...no pop! All I see is the tank getting algae fast and dirty, rocks getting hair algae. I'm doing water changes every week.
I'm use to having a clean tank with tons of corals, with no issue.

So I decided to upgrade the tank, since it's a stock 29G Biocube. The purpose for the upgrade because I want to stock this nano tank with corals until there is no more room to put corals.
I just order today the Rapid LED Solderless Biocube 29 Dimmable Retrofit Kit Since I want the Full spectrum I choose 9 cool white, 9 royal blue, 4 uv, 1 red and 1 green
In addition I order the InTank Media basket kit for the 29G Biocube. Going to remove the bio balls from the chamber in back, in place will put the media basket and a Tunze 9002 which I need to buy today, if I can get a great deal on one.

It seem I don't have enough flow! Those that have these tanks. What powerhead would be recommended for this size tank?

I will post pictures, after I install the LED
Appreciate your input...Have a great day!

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a tank shot, not so pretty!
29Biocube008_zps3d887f82.jpg

Got my RaidLED kit, gutted the hood, and this is the progress. Since I don't have a controller! I need to buy 0-10V controller (to control the dimming). Should have the lights on today.
29Biocube011_zps9fc214b8.jpg

29Biocube012_zpsb64d3a9b.jpg

Replaced the stock return pump with a MJ 1200 ...considerable amout of flow.
Took the bio balls and inserted the media basket from inTank.
Next to the media basket installed the Tunze 9002 Skimmer. Will not be able to run the skimmer yet, because I can not use the stock waste cap. I will need to order the modify waste cap made by inTank.
But here is a picture to give you an idea.

29Biocube014_zpsdf222f85.jpg

cgomez87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't have one yet I would get a auto top off I had a jbj ato on my bio cube worked great

logansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why run a skimmer? What is you water change schedul? If u do 3-5 gallons a week u wont need a skimmer. There are tona of people who do this with great results! But it wont hurt eitherif you want to run it.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, I have the same tank, with just rb and white. Following to see how the other colors change the appearance of the tank.

reefer Ard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far. Good choice on the solderless. I had the same kit but solder one and it was a pita considering I have huge fingers.

I had an MP10 on mine and that was plenty of flow. Depending on your rock setup, I would make sure you can get flow behind them though, I always had a dead spot in mine until I put a small nano power head near the back to blow through there which made a world of difference.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back