Upgrading tank. Need help

cjp847

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry mods if I put this in the wrong section. Hey everyone, I need some advice. I bought a 125 gallon with stand from pet smart during black friday. I paid $400. Now I have the opportunity to pick up 180 gallon reef ready tank without stand for $300. I have a buddy of mine who is willing to take the 125 gallon with stand off my hands for what I paid. So I won't lose anyting on that deal. I've never had a reef ready tank so my question is, should I jump on the 180 gallon, it's future-proof for sizing for some time. Is it better to have a reef ready tank? Any and all the advice appreciated.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reef ready tank will be much easier for adding a sump since you won’t have to drill the aquarium if it were me I would grab the 180 and use the 125 for a sump.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, all reef ready means is it has overflows, and is drilled for a sump. This could be a good, or a bad thing depending on how it's drilled, and what type of overflows it has.

And again, as above, I would use the 180 display, and keep the 125 as a sump.

Have a pic of the setup?

OP
OP
C

cjp847

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank laying around that I could use as a sump instead. I would like to get my money back. Cause I assume I will need a better protein skimmer and a return pump. I assume I will need to add chambers in the sump tank, If I use the 75 gallon as a sump.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to factor in the cost of a stand, sump and plumbing. The cost of the stand and sump can be minimal if you DIY. The cost of plumbing will be significant and is unavoidable.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank laying around that I could use as a sump instead. I would like to get my money back. Cause I assume I will need a better protein skimmer and a return pump. I assume I will need to add chambers in the sump tank, If I use the 75 gallon as a sump.
That would work as well and yes you would need some type of chambers to eliminate bubbles. And yes you will most likely need to upgrade equipment not sure what size equipment you have currently but that is a pretty decent size tank and will need some larger equipment.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup 75 would be perfect for a sump. I would make it in 3 chambers with the middle being a very large fuge. If it were me.

I Would still like to see pics of the 180. Because if its one of those marineland with 2 corner "mega flow" overlfows, it might be worth it to keep the 125 for the headache of trying to tune 2 separate overflows. While it can be done, it's usually a headache, and will continue to be one for the life of the tank.

OP
OP
C

cjp847

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would keep the 125 and let your buddy do the 180. I hate those corner overflows, but thats just me.
I just found out that the overflows are on the back wall close to the corner , not in the corner. Does that even make a difference with what you were saying about corner overflows ?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you describe is similar to mine, a 125 reef ready aqueon, two overflows on back wall, one close to each corner.

Two corner overflows can be managed without a lot of difficulty. First, plumb each overflow into a common drain pipe ( in my case I used 1 " tubing out of each overflow feeding a 1-1/2" pvc.) then add a pvc T fitting to the common drain pipe to provide a single feed to the sump. You can add valves to the two over flows if you like, and you can add a valve to the single feed going to the sump. Ultimate flexibility in adjusting the flow from each overflow individually or combined.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing I would look at with a tank size upgrade is if you'll need to swap out equipment (I would assume you will). I'm not sure if you've already started buying equipment like return pumps but I would factor that into the equation as well and look at any price increase based on those upgrades.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back