Upgrading tank suggestions

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, could look for some advice. Next summer I will be moving and am taking my tank with. I currently have a 75gallon marine land reef, running with canister filter. It will be 2 years of running when I move, and plan on taking it with. I dont want to go bigger due to apartment living, but really would like to get a sump for the next set up. Ive looked at waterbox frag 85, and find it interesting but wonder if its worth the $ compared to getting a reef ready tank and just a normal brand sump. Seems like stands cost the most, and if I can save 1K, id do it for sure! But I have no tools / knowledge of plumbing what so ever. Of course waterbox looks more finished but im just having a hard time deciding! Thanks for any suggestions / advice!

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, could look for some advice. Next summer I will be moving and am taking my tank with. I currently have a 75gallon marine land reef, running with canister filter. It will be 2 years of running when I move, and plan on taking it with. I dont want to go bigger due to apartment living, but really would like to get a sump for the next set up. Ive looked at waterbox frag 85, and find it interesting but wonder if its worth the $ compared to getting a reef ready tank and just a normal brand sump. Seems like stands cost the most, and if I can save 1K, id do it for sure! But I have no tools / knowledge of plumbing what so ever. Of course waterbox looks more finished but im just having a hard time deciding! Thanks for any suggestions / advice!
You may want to have a look at Cade models. It comes with almost everything. Especially plumbing.

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to have a look at Cade models. It comes with almost everything. Especially plumbing.
Well my spending limit is 2K, so Ive looked at water box (frag 85) and red sea. Just from reviews id go with waterbox. Cade is a bit too much $$$ for me, plus equipment. Just wonder if its worth the $ to upgrade my current tank, or buy all new stand + everything. but not really go "larger" in terms of display.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build the stand and sump and you can easily fit it all in under 2k. Will be fairly tough to keep under 2k otherwise unfortunately.
20g tank, baffles, silicone is under 100 dollars, and the wood for the stand can also be purchased under 100.
That leaves 1800 for the tank, skimmer, salt, substrate, rock, filter media, lighting, flow, return pump, etc.

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build the stand and sump and you can easily fit it all in under 2k. Will be fairly tough to keep under 2k otherwise unfortunately.
20g tank, baffles, silicone is under 100 dollars, and the wood for the stand can also be purchased under 100.
That leaves 1800 for the tank, skimmer, salt, substrate, rock, filter media, lighting, flow, return pump, etc.
I should clarify - my spending limit for the tank / stand / sump is 2K. I have a seperate budget for equipment, as I will recycle most of it and just get the few items needed for sump. Im not a very handy person and dont have the tools for such a project, and dont want to mess up any tank/stand combos and flood a future apartment. Im debating between buying premade everything (waterbox comes with tank/stand/sump/plumbing) vs parting it all out myself (reef ready tank, brand sump, etc).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros and cons to both. I have a Red Sea and wanted a “turn-key” system that had everything ready to run (except the equipment of course). My first choice was a Cade (unfortunately not available in Canada) and my last was a Waterbox.

Some want to run very a specific equipment setup (ie: filter rollers), so a separate tank, stand and sump make the most sense. Those that do their own custom setups usually want to do very specific things with the plumbing as well.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should clarify - my spending limit for the tank / stand / sump is 2K. I have a seperate budget for equipment, as I will recycle most of it and just get the few items needed for sump. Im not a very handy person and dont have the tools for such a project, and dont want to mess up any tank/stand combos and flood a future apartment. Im debating between buying premade everything (waterbox comes with tank/stand/sump/plumbing) vs parting it all out myself (reef ready tank, brand sump, etc).
Ahh, in that case I would go with the WB. They make good systems and probably is about the same price when parting out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back