Upgrading tanks. Have algae and ich in current

jriojas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. I am just a year in so I need some seasoned help.

I currently have a 54 gallon corner tank and honestly dislike the fact I’ve had to use a HOB filter to get down to my tiny 10g diy sump. Small fuge small skimmer and no room plus could never get a ato to work properly. Because of hob. I scored a really great deal on a Red Sea reefer 450.

I have algae issues and ich in my current tank. I went fowlr for 2 months and was strict with QT and it still came back. (Believe it’s from the 4 inch sand bed I have. I now know to deep)

what should I do. Move all my rock clams fish and sand straight to new tank or start over and qt all my fish before moving them. I’m scared I will just end up losing everything. Please help me with all the vast knowledge out there.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're really worried about ich I would QT your current fish, treat them, and consider starting over.

If you move a 4" sand bed you're definitely gonna need to cycle.

IME I'd start over with dry rock but I'm paranoid about fish disease.

OP
OP
J

jriojas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came up with an idea. Start up a 29gallon qt for my fish gang. Set up my Red Sea with dry rock and begin to cycle all while still feeding my dt and maintaining my coral. And in 2-3 months bring the rocks over. New tank should be ready and the ich should naturally die at this point. Then with my og live rock able to handle bio load. Bring the fish gang back. Plus some new ones. Any holes in this theory?????

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came up with an idea. Start up a 29gallon qt for my fish gang. Set up my Red Sea with dry rock and begin to cycle all while still feeding my dt and maintaining my coral. And in 2-3 months bring the rocks over. New tank should be ready and the ich should naturally die at this point. Then with my og live rock able to handle bio load. Bring the fish gang back. Plus some new ones. Any holes in this theory?????
Personally, I wouldn’t start the Red Sea with dry rock. I feel like people are way too paranoid about hitchhikers and pests these days and the benefits of live rock far outweigh any threat. But it’s your tank, so do dry rock if you want to, adding the rock from your current tank should help. I think even with strict QT practices, it’s difficult not to get ich and other fish diseases into your tank. I know some people will claim that it’s possible, and maybe it is, but it’s difficult (especially over time with new additions) and I think most people will ultimately fail. IMO, even with QTing it’s important to still practice disease management, specifically ensuring proper nutrition and having a bio diverse ecosystem (live rock vs dry). But other than that I think your plan sounds good!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 98 59.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back