Upgrading tanks, how do I save the sand bed fauna?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for all you magnifying glass people, I just got the flipper magnifying glass and I totally love it! My kid kept stealing my old school one.

flipper mag.jpg

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the interesting part here is not bothering to look up, or getting to see, several huge fish killed in a tank transfer (rcmcoy) only after 1 handful of sand was added from the old tank. make jokes about it agreed, Garf is an effective sideline instigator it'll get me new examples for warning, do the transfer now this way as planned, no rinse, transfer old sand

I get to comb the forums and watch for examples of these losses, caused by the info given from the sidelines, slowly and surely we build out to fifty pages of no loss over 8 years. I'm not lacking tank wipeout losses on page one of the rinse thread, I'm gaining them slowly each month.

what we do to find the tank wipeouts is skim tank transfers moving over unrinsed sand, I slowly edit the crashes back in on page one. 90% of the time or better things are fine

in the 5-10% lots of pain and cost are involved. we use those crash warnings to ensure perfect transfers in our rinse thread, as a cycle. you'd be amazed the # of people not willing to take chances at all, nor develop the habit.

keep 'em coming
I've read this a few times but I think I'm lacking the background lore to understand.

It sounds like you're saying you want me to use my old sand so that you can add me to your list of failures?

Did I get it right or am I confused?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your assumptions are correct. We are moving over two rock structures and the other 5 or 6 are cycling in a tub of water for about three months. When the cycle is finished, I think I'm going to keep a pair of mollies in there for fun and for the cycling benefits.

We have a protein skimmer and refugium now but the next tank has bigger versions of each.

Bacteria should be the least of our issues with all the time we have to prepare. I just kind of want to "age" the next tank's biome.
IMHO there is more risk than benefit. Those telling you to ’go for it’ are only partly informed. The micro fauna is not the issue… the act of scooping and moving will kill (grind/sheer) most of the macro fauna (the stuff you think you can’t live without for a few months).

So, most of the stuff you want to save will get ground to a pulp…

I doubt you will crash The whole system or anything like that, but why deal with the mess, just more crap to skim/filter out. You will be amazed at the detritus trapped there already.

I see absolutely no reason to take the chance when the ‘new sand’ method is tried and tested over decades of tank moves/upgrades.

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same sand among 3 tanks over a 6 month period. Started with 20 gallon, then moved the sand to a 30 frag tank. No issues. Then went to a JBJ 65 and moved all the sand again, no issues.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to be impolite but that's pretty far from the question I asked.
I answered your question in the post above that one and then added that post afterwards, but all good do whatever you like

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to be impolite but that's pretty far from the question I asked.
And are you serious? You respond to this post, but not the post above this one that gave you the answer to your question. It was kind of impolite, so good luck to you.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading everyone else’s responses OP seems to know everything not sure why he even asked the question if he already thinks he knows the answer…. Just let him do what he wants and then we can listen to him cry later ….. not sure why anyone would take the chance for 10 minutes worth of work, but hey, what do I know?

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading everyone else’s responses OP seems to know everything not sure why he even asked the question if he already thinks he knows the answer…. Just let him do what he wants and then we can listen to him cry later ….. not sure why anyone would take the chance for 10 minutes worth of work, but hey, what do I know?
I hope your day improves.

muffinmanXL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hope your day improves.
I’d ignore FordTech, he tends to speak in absolutes and gets triggered when called out

^^ if you want a chuckle; there’s a pattern here

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d ignore FordTech, he tends to speak in absolutes and gets triggered when called out

^^ if you want a chuckle; there’s a pattern here
This is extremely rude. Please see

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute this is all a misunderstanding and I wasn’t gunna respond again but decided I’d better at least say this before it keeps going. First of all this thread that was just posted was a year and a half ago and I was not being rude I was being firm (this miscommunication happens in text communication) in my belief on how the test was supposta be performed and then when realized I was wrong I appolagized to everyone at the end for any misinformation or inconvenience, if you read the whole thing which again was a year and a half ago. ( Someone’s sure holding a grudge geez). And as far as this post I was the first and only one to answer his question being the second and the 3rd post here and my post in number 2 was a good answer to his exact question I felt I was helping out and gave him the correct answer which is th e same answer that many people gave him aswell but yet he responded to the 3rd post here saying he’s not trying to be impolite but it has nothing to do with his question completely disregarding that I even was the first person to respond and I responded the same answer as more then 50% of the people after me. At that moment I felt op was rude to me for his response and yes it kinda set me off because I feel it was uncalled for and maybe a response should have been give in to me for my first post instead thanking me for my answer. But anyways again I just wanna say I’m sorry I will not respond here anymore and I did originally respond to this post with useful helpful information that I felt was answering OP’s question. Anyways, good luck to everyone again.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back