Upgrading to 66x36x25 260 gallon reef!

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank!

20181223_090145.jpg

Here's my old tank (150g) I just sold a few weeks back as I get ready to upgrade to my 260 gallon starphire mixed reef.

Screenshot_2018-08-29-15-30-21_2.png

New tank: 66x36x25 starphire...take delivery in 6 weeks..using bean animal
Sump: DIY acrylic 60 gallon tank converted to sump
Skimmer: Bubble Magus B11...just got it for a smoking deal!
Lights: 4 AI Sol, also have a 60" with 2x250 metal halide and 4 80w T5s light fixture. Trying to figure out use all 3 or use AI sol with T5s?
Apex controller
2 MP40ws and 1 Jebao CP-150 (like a gyre)
DIY wood stand 40" tall
Media reactors for phosban and carbon
Dosing using Bubble magus BM-T11 doser, B-Ionic, NoPOX, Magnesium
Lots and lots of fish!! Mostly softies and LPS

Next week start on my stand!

Last edited by a moderator:

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow this is crazy. I’ve got a 66”x40”x25” on the way, low iron with Bean Animal.

OP
OP
Canuck007

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juskr...thanks!
rushbattle...that's crazy...looking forward to seeing yours...when do you get it? what are you plans?

A few changes i made today...decided to do the ghost overflow and still bean animal...figure I'd get some extra space in the display...originally had regular internal overflow...

Also decided to get a 40" tall steel stand made. My main doorway is only 34" wide (even with the door out) but decided I could take out the patio sliding doors to the accomodate 40" stand to get through.

Now just have to work on skinning the stand and canopy. Probably do the canopy before delivery and skinning after the tank arrives.

Still have about 5 weeks till delivery so just planning stuff out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Canuck007

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a steel stand for this tank that is 2" tube and 11 gauge sound about right? They will use corner bracing since I was hoping to not have a center brace. What do you guys think?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juskr...thanks!
rushbattle...that's crazy...looking forward to seeing yours...when do you get it? what are you plans?

A few changes i made today...decided to do the ghost overflow and still bean animal...figure I'd get some extra space in the display...originally had regular internal overflow...

Also decided to get a 40" tall steel stand made. My main doorway is only 34" wide (even with the door out) but decided I could take out the patio sliding doors to the accomodate 40" stand to get through.

Now just have to work on skinning the stand and canopy. Probably do the canopy before delivery and skinning after the tank arrives.

Still have about 5 weeks till delivery so just planning stuff out.
I get it January, February time frame, I think. It’s @Tankme USA production. Premium all the way.

It’s using Gaston’s very cool Hybrid Zero Overflow. I highly recommend a ghost style overflow, but not synergy. It has a number of serious flaws. The exotic marine and modular marine overflows are good, IMO.

I’ve got a sliding glass door that has to come out to install the display. Fortunately have double doors for the frag tank.

The plan is for sps dominant, with some corals that provide movement as well for my wife. DIY led fixtures, with T5 supplements.

What are you planning for flow, rock and light? This process is both super fun and a bit terrifying, at least for me!

OP
OP
Canuck007

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Looking forward to seeing more of your tank.

Yeah looking forward to the ghost overflow. First time using this type of overflow.

I'm more into fish than corals so plan on having plenty of fish...some LPS and mostly softies.

I have a couple MP40s I'm planning on putting on one end and a Gyre type on the other end. We'll see how the flow is at the that time and see if I need more.

On my 150 pictured above I had 5 AI Sol blues. I really do like them and plan on using them on this tank but thinking of supplementing with T5's. I have a 60" light fixture with 4 80W t5s and 2x250w metal halide. I could just take the T5s out and use them in conjunction with my AI Sol blues. I was also thinking why not use all three? Then I started to worry about the electric bill and heat from the metal halides.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Canuck007

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update. My tank is being built and should receive it by 3rd week of december.

received_300702120574135[1].jpeg

My water making station. I don't have alot of room in the garage or elsewhere so it's in our bathroom. Left is RO/DI and right saltwater mix. I have pumps in the each to pump water from ro container to salt mix and salt mix to buckets etc. They hold about 20 gallons each. It makes 20 gallons in about 1.5 hrs.
20181206_084820[1].jpg

OP
OP
Canuck007

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's finally here!! The front to back at 36" looks amazing!! Just have to add the trim around the tank to hide the styrofoam. It sits at 41.5" tall now! Wow!

Now to start working on the plumbing so I can move the tank against that wall behind it. Of course my little guy is excited. He wants the fish in there now!! Not tomorrow or in a couple of days...now!! hahaha

Also the light fixture running on AI classic rails. 5 AI sols with 4 80w T5s. It's at about 29" wide. Planning on putting the rails on 2 drawer sliders in the canopy so I can push it towards the back in case I need more space to work inside the tank.
20181223_090148.jpg 20181221_195249.jpg

OP
OP
Canuck007

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not one reply? Anyway a few updates..got a good deal on a 80 gallon acrylic sump from a local reefer. 40x24x20. Just needed a good cleaning.
Also figured out the layout of the equipment. Having a deep front to back stand I wanted easy access to certain parts of the sump where regular maintenance would be involved, but not lose space for other equipment.

20181228_135041.jpg

20181228_174031.jpg

20181230_104434.jpg

OP
OP
Canuck007

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention...red top container is skimmer collection container, right is auto top off H2O, chiller in the back left. Next to chiller will be my wire management cabinet. On my last tank I hated having cords everywhere and it looked somewhat messy and cluttered. On the right of the sump will be the media reactors and dosing pumps.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All looks good to me! The tank is beautiful and the sump looks functional. Everything looks nice and tidy, well done. My brain doesn't work like that so I have to fight and fight to stay organized and decent looking aesthetics.

OP
OP
Canuck007

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you rush! Yes, can't wait to get it all done. Still have to build the canopy and try and match the finish of the stand. Do all the plumbing, build the managment cabinet and hook everything up. Feels a bit daunting but hey this is the fun part! Also I have a deadline that it has to be done in the next 3 weeks as I have family coming to visit and want it all up and running...

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you rush! Yes, can't wait to get it all done. Still have to build the canopy and try and match the finish of the stand. Do all the plumbing, build the managment cabinet and hook everything up. Feels a bit daunting but hey this is the fun part! Also I have a deadline that it has to be done in the next 3 weeks as I have family coming to visit and want it all up and running...
Oh boy! I always seem to have that problem. Right when I need to slow down and take my time we have visitors and my wife wants it done ASAP! I am done with that though, my new setups are going to be built slowly and intentionally while my current system chugs along. Finally have the room to do so.

Have fun and don’t get in too big a hurry!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back