Upgrading to a 475 soon. Looking for advice regarding stocking...

jkentfite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a 96 x 36 x 32 (~475 gal) from C2C aquariums. I'm super excited.

Current set up is a 200 gallon mixed reef with:
5 inch purple tang (the boss)
6.5 inch blue hippo tang (the pig)
4 inch foxface
5 inch copperband butterfly
2x Ocellaris clownfish (a fancy misbar and black snowflake)
Blotched anthia (maybe my fav fish)

other smaller fish:
royal gramma
leopard wrasse
yellow coris wrasse
redhead solon wrasse
yellow watchman goby

1 large longspine urchin
various snails/fighting conchs
a couple small hermits who i could give or take...

Here's what I am thinking of adding:

Naso/blonde naso tang
Group of yellow tangs
Achilles tang (maybe too aggressive I've heard)
Powder Brown Tang
Harlequin Tusk
Quoyi parrotfish
Emperor/Queen/Goldflake/Blueline angelfish?
Bellus angelfish (pair)
Potters and/or coral beauty
Yellow pyramid zoster butterfly (pair/few)
Crosshatch trigger (pair)
Squareback anthias (group 5-6)
Wrasses: Labouts, Melanarus, Christmas, other?
Any suggestions on reef safe puffer?
Dartfish?

I realize I would not be able to do ALL of the above list. Some, like the tusk and the parrotfish, I know are risky but I'm sure I want to try. I'm a little hesitant because I know how risky the large angels can be but gosh I think they're stunning and would love one...

Appreciate any advice or recs you all have. Thanks in advance. I'll try to start a build thread as soon as we make some progress. Going to be a lot of fun.

-Kent

(Posted this in the "fish" forum didn't get much traction so this is a repost *shrug*)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are thinking of a legitimate parrot fish IMO that is a very unethical purchase.

Powder Brown/Blue can be tough. They like a lot of roaming space and they seem to particularly prone to disease. My thought is that they are fore reef creatures and require very high O2 levels.

Other than that your list looks doable. I am no expert, but just those two fish caught my eye.

OP
OP
jkentfite

jkentfite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are thinking of a legitimate parrot fish IMO that is a very unethical purchase.

Powder Brown/Blue can be tough. They like a lot of roaming space and they seem to particularly prone to disease. My thought is that they are fore reef creatures and require very high O2 levels.

Other than that your list looks doable. I am no expert, but just those two fish caught my eye.
Could you elaborate why the parrotfish is unethical? I honestly don’t know what you mean.

Edit: seems like they do poorly in captivity. I did not know that. Seems like I need to do more research in this area. Thanks. My local fish guy never mentioned that. But I guess I never specifically asked.

Last edited:

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just food for thought, I have had an Achilles Tang for the last 5 years and he is a model citizen. Has never been aggressive toward tank-mates, other tangs included. The Bariene tang.... that is another story. Anyhow, just wanted to let you know that I think it kind of depends on the fish. I have heard of way more zebrasoma tangs getting aggressive for example, but maybe that is just due to so many people having them. The fish list sounds awesome.

OP
OP
jkentfite

jkentfite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just food for thought, I have had an Achilles Tang for the last 5 years and he is a model citizen. Has never been aggressive toward tank-mates, other tangs included. The Bariene tang.... that is another story. Anyhow, just wanted to let you know that I think it kind of depends on the fish. I have heard of way more zebrasoma tangs getting aggressive for example, but maybe that is just due to so many people having them. The fish list sounds awesome.
Thanks! I will definitively keep that in mind.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back