OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After getting rid of the protein skimmer entirely, I started seeing higher temperatures with the completely covered hood. I've now started working on installing two computer fans into the top, controlled with an ink bird dual temperature controller. Both the fans and my heater are plugged to the controller to help hopefully keep me at a low constant temp.
20210805_191218.jpg
20210805_191233.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's project was installing the XP Auto ATO. It was a tight fit in the middle chamber, but I think it will work. I obviously need a better solution for my rodi container, I'll work on that tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210807_204300.jpg
    20210807_204300.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210807_194617.jpg
    20210807_194617.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210807_194601.jpg
    20210807_194601.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pair of CPU fans controlled by the ink bird have been the perfect solution. No more overheating with the second light, and the temperature has stayed more stable than ever. I almost want to put one of these on my freshwater tank also.

Attachments

• 20210807_204608.jpg
    20210807_204608.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished my fancy dollar tree ATO reservoir today. It holds 1 gallon, which my tank will take months to use before the fans, I expect I'll see a little more evaporation now that the fans are working.
20210808_182314.jpg
20210808_182317.jpg
20210808_182331.jpg

scattered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my reservoirs are exactly like that. Works great and if you need to recut or get new, big deal.

You need more of a cleaning crew than a couple snails. I would add a half dozen turbo, at least that many cerith, and a dozen nassarius. In a lot of ways the algae cycle is much worse than waiting on a good solid nitrogen cycle. It takes a good amount of time to build up the right algae in the right amounts. Crabs are generally better for hair algae but all crustaceans are opportunists and will eat the snails whenever they can. Personally I would ditch the bio-balls, live rock should be enough biological filtration. At the moment I've got nothing in my inTank aside from rubble and foam. I do however have an UV filter in line and use a hang on back with activated charcoal occasionally to polish water occasionally. If you are going to skim, the Tunze is a much better option. Have you tested calcium? Once coralline gets a good start it will help to outcompete the nuisance algae. As with the nitrogen cycle, patience is key. It takes a while for a tank to balance and harden. You're off to a good start based on the ATO alone.

Happy reef keeping

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my reservoirs are exactly like that. Works great and if you need to recut or get new, big deal.

You need more of a cleaning crew than a couple snails. I would add a half dozen turbo, at least that many cerith, and a dozen nassarius.

I've got just the one turbo, but I've got 4 nassarius and about three dozen dwarf cerith.
In a lot of ways the algae cycle is much worse than waiting on a good solid nitrogen cycle. It takes a good amount of time to build up the right algae in the right amounts. Crabs are generally better for hair algae but all crustaceans are opportunists and will eat the snails whenever they can.

I've got 5 or 6 hermit crabs.. I used to have more but Bob the diamond goby is really rough on hermit crabs. I also used to have an emerald crab but he decided he liked to eat coral so he had to go
Personally I would ditch the bio-balls, live rock should be enough biological filtration. At the moment I've got nothing in my inTank aside from rubble and foam. I do however have an UV filter in line and use a hang on back with activated charcoal occasionally to polish water occasionally.

I ditched the bioballs a while ago. I have filter floss on the top rack, chemipure in the middle, and matrix on bottom.
If you are going to skim, the Tunze is a much better option. Have you tested calcium? Once coralline gets a good start it will help to outcompete the nuisance algae. As with the nitrogen cycle, patience is key. It takes a while for a tank to balance and harden. You're off to a good start based on the ATO alone.

Happy reef keeping
. I've got the ps1 skimmer hooked up now. I bought the tunze 9001 but couldn't get it to work at all, the fit was awful and it never produced anything

Thanks!

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer version 3.0 has been a success. Tool about 2 weeks to really break in, but so far has been producing wonderfully with no micro bubbles. Don't believe anyone who says it actually fits this tank though. I had to take out one entire chamber of media and kind of prop it up side ways, but it's definitely working better than my first two options.
20210901_162046.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back