Upgrading to a Fluval Flex 32.5

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer version 3.0 has been a success. Tool about 2 weeks to really break in, but so far has been producing wonderfully with no micro bubbles. Don't believe anyone who says it actually fits this tank though. I had to take out one entire chamber of media and kind of prop it up side ways, but it's definitely working better than my first two options.
Really glad to hear it’s working out! 3rd time’s a charm I guess. I’m not clear on where you put the skimmer. Sounds like you took out one of the InTank media baskets and put it in a side chamber? Does it not fit in the center chamber or do you have our ATO occupying that space?

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really glad to hear it’s working out! 3rd time’s a charm I guess. I’m not clear on where you put the skimmer. Sounds like you took out one of the InTank media baskets and put it in a side chamber? Does it not fit in the center chamber or do you have our ATO occupying that space?
Yes, I took out one of the intank baskets and put it there. It will fit in the center compartment, but not with the magnet mount attached, so it doesn't really sit securely and I constantly had to readjust it. You can put it in with the mount in the center if you turn it sideways and put the outside magnet inside one of the side media chambers, but then it interferes with pulling the media baskets out and out still really doesn't sit stable.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Our latest family discussion/project

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the labor day weekend I found what I thought to be two aptasia on some coral frags.
20210905_124559.jpg
20210905_124547.jpg

However after posting about them here and on Facebook, many people have convinced me that these are tiny brittle starfish and not aptasia and I don't need to burn my tank down.

In the middle of full on panic mode I did purchase three peppermint shrimp, so they are in the tank now but I haven't seen them since they went in

20210905_154053.jpg

At some point during the day Gary the bulldozing turbo snail knocked a leather coral off the rock and its now stuck in the sand where I can't reach it. Hopefully I can rescue it today.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely on board with them being brittle stars, almost certainly. Do you have anything in your tank that might have eaten the shrimp or do you think they're hiding?

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely on board with them being brittle stars, almost certainly. Do you have anything in your tank that might have eaten the shrimp or do you think they're hiding?
I expect they are hiding in the rockwork. Although Gurgle the Royal Gramma was very insistent that they didn't belong in her tank when they first went in, I don't think she actually killed them

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw one of the peppermint shrimp today while doing a water change. Also saw my bumblebee snail and I haven't seen him out in several months. Sometimes I don't even know if he's still alive, then he'll just show up one day.

My nitrates and phosphates are still higher than they should be, and I've been doing water changes twice a week for a while now. I also cut my feeding in half, got a decent skimmer finally, and have been doing Vibrant.

Pretty sure I have no idea what I'm doing. Thankfully my corals all seem happy, so I'm not overly stressed about it yet.

Screenshot_20210908-204414_AquaticLog.jpg
Screenshot_20210908-204414_AquaticLog.jpg

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you taken any par measurements with the stock light in the tank? I'm guessing that the stock light is good for softies and LPS, but might need the second light for SPS?

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you taken any par measurements with the stock light in the tank? I'm guessing that the stock light is good for softies and LPS, but might need the second light for SPS?
I haven't taken any measurements, but I do have the second stock light running. I have almost entirely softies and LPS, but I do have one tiny birdsnest frag that has shown some growth

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still fighting multiple algae issues, while my algae blenny is slowly dying of starvation. He's eating, but still getting super skinny.

I'm honestly starting to consider giving up entirely.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try feeding nori strips or algae wafers to the blenny to keep him healthy.

Have you tried a treatment like Vibrant? This is right in the ugly stage of a tanks development and this isn't entirely unexpected.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try feeding nori strips or algae wafers to the blenny to keep him healthy.

Have you tried a treatment like Vibrant? This is right in the ugly stage of a tanks development and this isn't entirely unexpected.
Nori. Algae wafers, herbivore blend pellets, spirilina mysis, tried it all. He eats, but is still not doing well. This particular tank is almost a year old.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still fighting multiple algae issues, while my algae blenny is slowly dying of starvation. He's eating, but still getting super skinny.

I'm honestly starting to consider giving up entirely.
I'm sorry to hear that. You could consider netting him, and giving him a methelyne blue bath (blue part of Safety Stop), or just get Methelyne Blue medication.
I wish I knew about the medication since it supposedly helps with a wide range of issues.
How long have you had the blenny?
I had 2 blennys and neither made it :(
I think some just are caught with cyanide or have copper poisoning or something because mine was eating like a pig, and remained skinny.
Also is it internal parasite related? If not then definitely try methelyne blue.

And like other people said I would try vibrant. I have never used it, but at this point it may be worth it.
(You could maybe add some Phosguard since maybe it is phosphate/silicate related).

Just make sure whatever method you choose especially Vibrant, do NOT let your levels bottom out (since Dino/cyano can pull up).

Reydin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API test kits are junk. These are the bees knees!
You might have an issue with the low range nitrate tester. Your nitrates might be too high for the tester and although you can use the low range tester to test for higher nitrates, I found the process time consuming and prone to inaccuracy if not done correctly. I ended up buying a high range nitrate tester also and just use that now. The high range nitrate tester is so much easier to use.

Balthazar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get rid of the hair algae issue? If not you can use Reef Flux. Ive had gha as well and was trying to get rid of it with peroxide until someone mentioned To try Reef Flux. After the second dose the gha was gone. just follow the directions and it works like a charm.
I had to downsize and the Flex is my new tank as well. Thanks for the info on the fans for the hood mod to keep the temp down in the tank.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get rid of the hair algae issue? If not you can use Reef Flux. Ive had gha as well and was trying to get rid of it with peroxide until someone mentioned To try Reef Flux. After the second dose the gha was gone. just follow the directions and it works like a charm.
I had to downsize and the Flex is my new tank as well. Thanks for the info on the fans for the hood mod to keep the temp down in the tank.
Still have GHA after 3 doses of reef flux. And it was making my corals unhappy so I went back to fighting the old fashioned way.

I ended up taking each rock out of my tank one at a time and scrubbing in peroxide, one rock a week. Along with continuing frequent water changes. I still have the GHA but it's much less

Balthazar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow im surprised it didnt work. I did hit mine with peroxide way before dosing the reef flux though.
Thats what i was originally doing with the peroxide as well. Id take a rock out and spray it with peroxide,scrub and a quick rinse in saltwater,then back in the tank.
Unfortunately the only way to avoid any unwanted algae or pest is to quarantine everything before going into your display tanks.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back