Upgrading to a later tank?

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TYPO. UPGRADING TO A LARGER TANK. NOT LATER :)

Ok. So I am just beginning this new journey of reefing and already realize how many mistakes and how unprepared I was going into this.

I have a 40 Gallon Breeder. And I now realize that limits the amount of fish and type of fish I can put in there. So I am thinking of getting a bigger tank and going for a sump. I might make my own based on YouTube videos or get one of those kits. I have a 20 gallon and the 40 gallon breeder. I was thinking on either going with a 53, 65 or 75. 53 and 65 would be the cheaper way to go since my current stand and skimmer would work for either. If I go 75 (which I could not go any bigger given the limited space in my basement office) I would have to buy a new stand and a new skimmer. Although there is a guy in my area selling a 75 gallon stand for 30 bucks. And I can buy a 75 gallon tank for 100.00. But that still leaves me with skimmer.

Question.

I have the Tunze DOC 2004 Skimmer.

Heavy Bioload - 20 gallons

Medium Bioload - 40 gallons

Light Bioload - 60 gallons

If I get a 75 gallon and turn my 40 gallon breeder into a sump with a fuge, will that make up for the lack of power for the Skimmer?

Should have really thought this out before I got into it but I am learning as I go.

Any insights?

Thanks.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To upgrade from 40 to 53,65 is not a big difference.
I’d go with 75 if that’s the biggest you can fit.
To me, that’s skimmer is a toy made for very small tanks.
Skimmer is not a must, fuge is not a must.
I would start with skimming for a year and then, start the fuge if exports can’t keep up.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My $0.02

If it is your only tank, and you’re not trying to keep certain fish etc.... I would lean towards a smaller tank, focusing on dimensions that appeal to you, and still use a bigger sump for room for stuff and water stability

I would go rimless, without a doubt, best glass, etc.... AWC, the whole nine.

Tanks full of frags never did anything for me..... small tanks exploding with color are great. Local shop I was at yesterday had a tank with only frogspawn and hammers but it was full, edge to edge, and it was a 90g!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back