Upgrading to bigger tank

Hely'sreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have had a 120 litre marine tank for a year now and am planning on upgrading to a 300 litre. What is the best way to go about this? Do I start and cycle the new aquarium from scratch or do I simply transfer all livestock including live rock and sand in one go? If the latter I'll need to add more live rock-will that affect the tank in anyway? Any advice would be great thanks!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the ability, cycle the new rock outside of the new tank before the transfer.
Most often done is a large enough container to hold all the new rock with a powerhead and a heater. Add a table shrimp as an ammonia source and add some bacterial culture like Dr. Tim's to seed the necessary bacteria.
Let the whole thing "cook" for 2-6 weeks then do the transfer.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the condition of your current tank? Bad hitch hikers, coral/fish loss, etc? Or are you 100% happy?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have had a 120 litre marine tank for a year now and am planning on upgrading to a 300 litre. What is the best way to go about this? Do I start and cycle the new aquarium from scratch or do I simply transfer all livestock including live rock and sand in one go? If the latter I'll need to add more live rock-will that affect the tank in anyway? Any advice would be great thanks!

When I upgrade I transfer the live stock and rock to a holding tank or big trash can while I set up the new one once I have plumbing, sand added, equipment installed (essential stuff), filled with salt water I start transferring the old rock into the new tank and get the aquascape done. Then start adding the livestock. The old rock should not have much of a problem cycling the ammonia so it's safe. I've done this many times:

In the holding tank I separate the rocks and live stock. I put only a few rocks in with the fish and stuff. Make sure you have some flow, a pump or powerhead and a air stone can help too.

If you are getting Pukani dry rock then you should cure it in RO/DI and some bleach. BRS demonstrated that bleach does a good job of oxidizing the organics off the rock. Change the water bleach every week or few days. Should be ok to add after 30 days cureing and then a week drying in the sun. Won't create a ammonia spike but probably will get a nutrient spike so have GFO/carbon handy or some other extra nutrient control.

Good luck

OP
OP
H

Hely'sreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the condition of your current tank? Bad hitch hikers, coral/fish loss, etc? Or are you 100% happy?

Condition of my current tank is pretty good....nitrates a little high but my refugeeum is helping somewhat. All other parameters spot on (I'm meticulous with water checks, weekly partial water changes etc as it's a small tank). My lfs sells cured live rock and he tells me it's fine to add straight into the new tank with my current live rock-is that true? Thanks for your help [emoji4]

OP
OP
H

Hely'sreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgrade I transfer the live stock and rock to a holding tank or big trash can while I set up the new one once I have plumbing, sand added, equipment installed (essential stuff), filled with salt water I start transferring the old rock into the new tank and get the aquascape done. Then start adding the livestock. The old rock should not have much of a problem cycling the ammonia so it's safe. I've done this many times:

In the holding tank I separate the rocks and live stock. I put only a few rocks in with the fish and stuff. Make sure you have some flow, a pump or powerhead and a air stone can help too.

If you are getting Pukani dry rock then you should cure it in RO/DI and some bleach. BRS demonstrated that bleach does a good job of oxidizing the organics off the rock. Change the water bleach every week or few days. Should be ok to add after 30 days cureing and then a week drying in the sun. Won't create a ammonia spike but probably will get a nutrient spike so have GFO/carbon handy or some other extra nutrient control.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply [emoji4]. My lfs sells cured live rock-can I add that straight in with my current rock? Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
H

Hely'sreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the ability, cycle the new rock outside of the new tank before the transfer.
Most often done is a large enough container to hold all the new rock with a powerhead and a heater. Add a table shrimp as an ammonia source and add some bacterial culture like Dr. Tim's to seed the necessary bacteria.
Let the whole thing "cook" for 2-6 weeks then do the transfer.

Can I add cured live rock straight into the tank with the rest? My lfs sells cured....

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never trust LFS. Of course they say it's ok to add....what type of live rock, pests, etc. I would never take an established tank you don't have pests in and add new live rock immedialty then upgrade at the same time. My skin is crawling with the amount of issues you may have. It may be great but you may be walking into a year long headache.

OP
OP
H

Hely'sreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never trust LFS. Of course they say it's ok to add....what type of live rock, pests, etc. I would never take an established tank you don't have pests in and add new live rock immedialty then upgrade at the same time. My skin is crawling with the amount of issues you may have. It may be great but you may be walking into a year long headache.

Ok thanks for your advice! I do have "old" live rock (ie been out of water for a year) - could I use that at all?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a tricky question. You are basically tripling your display. If it were me I would do the following. First I would ensure that I had the following hardware ready.

Hardware preparation.
1. lighting
2. Protein skimmer
3. sump
4. pumps
5. Heater

Next I would start getting new live rock ready for my new aquarium. Make sure its fully cured and ready to go. For the swap, I would use all the water in your existing aquarium. Stack your new and existing rock as needed. Only use the top inch of sand you have. The rest underneath is toxic. You will have to either wash the deep sand or replace. Move everything over including corals. The tank will have a small cycle, but nothing too much to worry about if all the rock is fully cured that you are adding. I will use well established rock if you can get ahold of it. Other wise, the transfer will have to be done in 2 different steps. Meaning you will have to setup the new aquarium independently of your existing and let run for a while until the tank is stable. Hope this helps.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point about the pests Snookin. I have been there and done that and it wasn't fun. Wasn't even thinking about that. Rock crabs can reek havoc on an aquarium as well as other little dwellers.

OP
OP
H

Hely'sreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay have ordered my new 300 litre tank today. Here's my plan....
Move my current tank carefully to put my new tank in it's place (I know, a mission already). Install and fill my new tank with RO water plus right amount of salt. Put a couple of pieces of my live rock from old into new tank then wait for it to cycle. Will have 2 tanks running at the same time so will have to get rid of one of my sofas for a few weeks (can hear the complaints from family already), then move over live rock and corals once cycled (over a couple of days) then finally fish....phew!!! Wish me luck!!!

OP
OP
H

Hely'sreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay have ordered my new 300 litre tank today. Here's my plan....
Move my current tank carefully to put my new tank in it's place (I know, a mission already). Install and fill my new tank with RO water plus right amount of salt. Put a couple of pieces of my live rock from old into new tank then wait for it to cycle. Will have 2 tanks running at the same time so will have to get rid of one of my sofas for a few weeks (can hear the complaints from family already), then move over live rock and corals once cycled (over a couple of days) then finally fish....phew!!! Wish me luck!!!

Addit - my old tank will become my QT - simples [emoji4]

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. I keep a 10 gallon and 20 gallon in the attic for emergency setups. Not ideal since they should be running all the time but they work in a pinch.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back