UPS is terrible

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On Tuesday I had a package with an expensive coral coming to me, New Jersey to New Jersey. Was due by 10:30 am. Came in at 4pm. Multiple conversations with FedEx, finally when I was able to reach the station, the explained the situation. The truck hasn't even left the station until 1pm, they are extremely under-staffed as folks are sick, folks are worried of coming to work and getting sick, folks have to take care of their kids and older parents. My driver was alone covering 3 towns, where it should be a driver per town.

The feedback you got that it's coming soon is coming from a call center, unfortunately they have no clue, they are basing their answers on what's in their internal systems, not on what's actually happening at the local distribution system.

Anyone shipping / receiving livestock right now needs to be aware they are taking a gamble.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for a food manufacturer. We have people not showing up for their shifts because they're scared or have to stay home to take care of a loved one or child. If any workers are sick, even with the slightest thing, they have to stay home until they're symptom free. Not to mention productivity being down because we've had to bring new people in or people are just feeling scared. We're fine because our volume is down, but I'd suspect volume and packages are way up for UPS, and their workforce is down until they can get people trained, get more trucks, etc..

Also, consider the drastic cuts in flights... In short, give these guys a break and don't expect next day delivery with all that's happening during the pandemic.

Last edited:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha I hate ups too! Two years ago, I ordered my dream tank. The tank was shipped by marine depot and was packaged fairly well, it was labeled with many fragile, handle with care, glass inside stickers....Well for the first delivery the ups driver literally pushed the tank out of the back of his truck, and rolled it off the stairs onto my driveway. You could clearly hear the sound of broken glass tumbling around in the box. When the box (which was beaten up pretty bad) hit my driveway, glass shards went EVERYWHERE. The driver managed to shatter 1/2” tempered star fire glass. When I told him what it was he laughed and told me that he thought it was a bunch of pots! Because the pots would be ok if they sounded like that? I was ticked. After talking to marine depot, the agreed to send me out a new tank and hit ups with the bill. Second tank came and the front panel was bashed in. It looked like the tank got hit with a baseball bat. Remember, 1/2” tempered glass. That would take an impressive amount of force. Third tank came and it wasn’t quite as bad but again the box was beaten to..... and the tank was cracked from corner to corner. The fourth tank came via FedEx and was fine. I don’t understand why, even if you processed a lot of packages, you could be so careless with handling someone’s belongings. Sorry but it’s not cool to beat somebody’s stuff up, in or outside a box. When I ordered my wife a circuit maker for Christmas, the ups driver walked up to my door (right in front of my ring door camera) and dropped the package. He didn’t bend over to set it down, just straight up dropped it. Regardless of how busy they are, it’s still disrespectful.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether UPS or FedEx, whether there is a global pandemic underway or not, the best thing to do is always pick it up at the shipping center. I typically get packages by 9 AM this way.

Both FedEx and UPS have absolutely amazing systems - right until you get to the driver who carries it the last leg of the trip, who is the weak link. He's just a random dude at a fairly low-paid job, working under a system that in some cases literally dictates policies like he cannot take left turns (to save gas), let alone deliver live animals before random non perishable items.

I like to eliminate that last leg of the trip completely - eliminate the weak link.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not livestock, but I just got a package from @Bulk Reef Supply that came through UPS and it looked like that box had gone through hell and back to get to me. Really shows how little they care about their work. If I did something like that at work I'd be out on my butt by the end of the day and yet these giant companies just get away with it all the time.
My last purchase was a bunch of grain for home brewing from MoreBeer! and the box looked like it went 12 rounds with Tyson in his prime. It was all smashed up, torn, full of holes, and taped back together . I’m not sure what’s going on with shipping, but a lot of folks’ stuff is getting beat up.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether UPS or FedEx, whether there is a global pandemic underway or not, the best thing to do is always pick it up at the shipping center. I typically get packages by 9 AM this way.

Both FedEx and UPS have absolutely amazing systems - right until you get to the driver who carries it the last leg of the trip, who is the weak link. He's just a random dude at a fairly low-paid job, working under a system that in some cases literally dictates policies like he cannot take left turns (to save gas), let alone deliver live animals before random non perishable items.

I like to eliminate that last leg of the trip completely - eliminate the weak link.
Those same weak links are chucking things around processing centers too. You’re only saving your package two more potential tosses by employee’s: on to the truck, and on to the porch.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those same weak links are chucking things around processing centers too. You’re only saving your package two more potential tosses by employee’s: on to the truck, and on to the porch.
Yeah but its not the tossing I'm talking about, its the timing. It saves you from waiting all day while your package rides around in circles on the truck.

I get daily deliveries and don't have any problems with packages being mishandled, even currently. They show up intact and in good shape. I imagine this varies depending on the area.

I've seen a lot of package tossing with USPS employees though, I think they must be instructed in it as a part of job training. If they have a single package to move 12 inches I swear they back up a little just to make sure they can give it a good toss.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not livestock, but I just got a package from @Bulk Reef Supply that came through UPS and it looked like that box had gone through hell and back to get to me. Really shows how little they care about their work. If I did something like that at work I'd be out on my butt by the end of the day and yet these giant companies just get away with it all the time.
or, you know, they are dealing with increased demand due to a global pandemic and they are getting slammed. doing their jobs, with extra work, during a biological event. Maybe cut them a bit of slack?

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or, you know, they are dealing with increased demand due to a global pandemic and they are getting slammed. doing their jobs, with extra work, during a biological event. Maybe cut them a bit of slack?
This has been a problem I’ve noticed since October/November. Shipping was usually just ok, but I’ve noticed it really go down hill since the start of the last holiday season.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

please do not do this as it violates most social distancing orders. Your are putting the staff at the facility and yourself at risk. Let the driver leave it at your door and do you best to comply with social distancing for now.

Plus I don't think they are permitting facility pick ups at this time.

If you are ordering live stock now, understand that the distribution systems are stressed as they are dealing with the country doing more shopping at home as well as the internal pressure of trying to keep their staff safe. They are a key link in the country keeping the lights on right now.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks man! I have been there but with FedEx and it was in December of last year. I had a package scheduled for Friday morning delivery and they held onto it over the weekend until Monday. I had some nice coral soup come Monday morning. :(. However, I did receive a 9 pack of acro's shipped through UPS last week and everything arrived on time and healthy.

These things happen. It happened before all of this mess and I imagine it will be much worse during all of this. I knew the chances of shipping and I still chose it anyways. If it would have been dlayed then it would have been my fault.

Sucks though. Keep your head up. Everything still might turn out ok. If not, then depending on the vendor then I am sure they will work with you.

Take a deep breath and be thankful you are one of the lucky ones that still can during all of this mess. Good luck!!

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

silently thank them like you would a nurse or doctor right now. They are out there as "essential workers" at higher risk than the people who are home receiving non-essential packages.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
silently thank them like you would a nurse or doctor right now. They are out there as "essential workers" at higher risk than the people who are home receiving non-essential packages.
These issues existed well before the pandemic, but we don’t have many options for shipping so we have to use what’s available. If they were terrible employees at the best of times, why would they be any better now? Also, why would I thank someone for not doing their job properly, pandemic or not? Would you thank your butcher for an order you paid for in advance of 12 lbs of steak but instead he hands you 6 lbs of chicken?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please do not do this as it violates most social distancing orders. Your are putting the staff at the facility and yourself at risk. Let the driver leave it at your door and do you best to comply with social distancing for now.

If you are ordering live stock now, understand that the distribution systems are stressed as they are dealing with the country doing more shopping at home as well as the internal pressure of trying to keep their staff safe. They are a key link in the country keeping the lights on right now.
Social distancing orders vary by state, and they are absolutely still open for business at my local shipping center. I always find it odd when people try to 'correct' someone on the internet, based on third hand rumors.

But yes, absolutely, check with your local rules first. Where I live FedEx is still open for business as normal.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS and FedEx in my area have been awesome!

I did have a small item that I bought on Amazon, shipped by the USPS, said it was at my local post office, never got delivered, Amazon refunded me.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Depends on the implementation details. My local FedEX lets a single person in at a time for pickup/drop-off/shipping, line is outdoors, there are traffic cones with sines every 6 feet so people know to stay away from each other. Packages are placed on the counter only - no direct interaction with employee. Staff is finally (as of this week) wearing masks and gloves; not that they didn't care, FedEx just hasn't sourced any yet as of 2 weeks ago.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t all the nonessential closures give them plenty of capacity?

Closures means less local shopping and more online which means more deliveries not less. Plus delivery folks will catch the virus just like anyone else so the workforce is also stressed.

It’s been a mixed bag for me. In some cases UPS has been getting to me earlier in the day than before COVID; in other cases deliveries have been a day late. Overall, I think the men and women that sort and deliver have been awesome and they have my respect and admiration.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back