UPS is terrible

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience a few years ago. I ordered a fish from LA divers den. It shipped out as expected, but a few hours later, there was an "exception" notice. Apparently the truck got in an accident and didn't make the flight. It took 48 hours (this was before UPS Saturday delivery) and me pleading with UPS to let me pick it up at the sorting center.

I was sure the fish was dead (water was 50 degrees) but I acclimated anyway. After about 45 minutes, I saw a leg twitch (it was an angler). He lived for 3 days until I found him stuck on the filter intake. A healthy fish doesn't get stuck. I got the money back, but I (like everyone else) just wants a healthy fish.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me with UPS, twice. First time, they lost it for 2 days, nobody cared. They said "at least it's just fish".
Thanks, UPS. Shows they care. All but a few of the corals didn't make it.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I ordered online USPS was the carrier. I could see the tracking information said it was just a couple miles away at Balt then they shot it to Delaware and to York PA then back to the same place. I got it but everything was dead .

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no overnight guarantee for UPS now so yes it sucks but with the number of packages lately it is understandable. At this point it is ship at your own risk with the decrease in number of flights domestically.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UPS charges 1% for insurance. They actually lose .01% of all packages so I guess this day your number was up. It happens. That is why they offer insurance. Considering the time, you are lucky you can still receive packages next day! Time to put your big boy pants on and get over it! File a claim, which is a waste of time because I dont think live fish are covered, and next time drive to your LFS if you dont want to take the chance... **Cue world's smallest fiddle**

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS charges 1% for insurance. They actually lose .01% of all packages so I guess this day your number was up. It happens. That is why they offer insurance. Considering the time, you are lucky you can still receive packages next day! Time to put your big boy pants on and get over it! File a claim, which is a waste of time because I dont think live fish are covered, and next time drive to your LFS if you dont want to take the chance... **Cue world's smallest fiddle**
You must be fun at parties

Phillthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 days ago i get a text alert saying my sump will be arriving the next day mid afternoon via ups....... Yea .... Im still waiting. Haha. Not livestock but I hear ya. Cant tell you how many time I looked out my window to check for a box on my proch.. Today I already looked about 5 times lol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World's Smallest Violin - Urban Dictionary
www.urbandictionary.com › define › term=World's Smallest Violin

www.urbandictionary.com › define › term=World's Smallest Violin

When someone is whining and you are tired of hearing it, you can play the world's smallest violin to provide musical ambiance to dramatize their annoying whine .
:eek::eek:
Or you could just ignore the thread and not post insulting stuff.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I live, they both suck. Neither one of them can get packages to me by "guaranteed 10am delivery" time frame. it's usually more like 5 or 6pm by time my guaranteed overnight delivery makes it to me.

For this reason, I have shippers of live good leave them at a pickup office. It's still an hour drive, but I can get them by noon instead of 5 or 6pm.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delivery today, will it be wine or Beer? ;)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My UPS guys are awesome. They know what the Live boxes are and drive them out in their own trucks sometimes. I keep Red Bull on hand for them when I have a delivery coming!

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last overnight delivery from UPS was great for me last week, shipped around 5pm, had to go thru two airports / cities and still made it 10:30 am the next day. Driver even kept it up with him, not in the back of the truck as it was colder.

4sylvester

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS SUCKS!!!! PERIOD!!! No comparison to Fedex service overall.
20191118_102643.jpg

I'll bet i have the worst UPS story with the best ending. Melanurus shipping from Tampa to Orlando overnight Thursday night. Fish didn't make it on delivery truck for some reason. Called.. explained the situation.. and they said come down to the warehouse to see if you can pick it up. Was there an hour and they said i would have to wait until all the trucks come back.. went back that evening.. no luck. Was lost in the warehouse. Went saturday morning (it was in the 50's that night). No luck.. was there for 2 hours waiting and they said it was on a truck in the lot somewhere. They said come back Monday morning. I did.. after waiting an hour they found it. Fish was barely moving and gasping. The water was very cold. I didn't have time to acclimate. I dumped him into matching salinity water (but much warmer). He went into shock. When i got him home i kept flushing him with a turkey baster with an air stone in the bucket. After a while he came back... doing great in my reefer 525 for 6 months now! I have numerous UPS experiences like this.

Just to clarify.. this fish survived somewhere between 90 and 96 hours in a bag. Has anyone seen this before?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my ups delivery from Unique Corals at 11am, All's Well. You have to remember that ALL delivery services have multiple levels of delivery options, from Red-Line (first thing in morning) to economy overnight ( up to 9pm)
Fed-ex is my preferred but ups gets it done IF the seller doesn't go cheap. Kudos to UC

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to stick up for UPS/Fedex in anyway but I do the shipping paperwork for my work and I know that both UPS and Fedex are now no longer "guaranteeing" overnight, etc package delivery because of covid. I'm sure if you called UPS customer service and complained they'd refund you some of the shipping cost/charge you for whatever level of service you actually got.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back