Urchin releasing fountain of white balls

Starfishandseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Every response I receive confirming the balls are poop gets to play a part of the mounting evidence that I just spent multiple hours of my life staring at, photographing, and squishing urchin feces (multiple times) with my bare hands. Then I posted about it online for all to see.

whaaaat am I looking at? An urchin I have had for 5 years has a fountain of round cream colored white spheres coming out of the top of it… I’ve never seen this before and it’s captivating. It’s been happening at a rapid pace for about an hour with no end in sight.
Is it pooping for the first time in years and making up for lost time by expelling 5 years worth of poop in one glorious fountain? ( kidding- kind of haha)
Am I just seeing it poop for the first time because I’ve just never noticed before?
I am dying to know what I’m seeing.
I netted some of it out and took a close up photo. It’s a different color than the sand and I grabbed a single ball with tweezers and squished it and it fell apart into a creamy greenish slimy substance. There wasn’t any sand in it at all!

I’m attaching pics of the balls as well as a video of it happening in real time.

The video!:

3A29FB2F-1D63-400A-8308-44F33C3AE533.jpeg 7702E148-8EC6-4C38-808A-0B6FE0910658.jpeg

Last edited:

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert but I'd vote just excreting waste -- mine does the little white balls out of the top periodically also. (Doesn't usually let it accumulate on top of his "head" though but probably no big deal).

A couple of spines on the sand wouldn't freak me out because I see that every so often when vacuuming sand but, if you start seeing more, then I'd worry.

Not sure what common, captive lifespan is since I've only had mine about 2 years.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Starfishandseahorse

Starfishandseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert but I'd vote just excreting waste -- mine does the little white balls out of the top periodically also. (Doesn't usually let it accumulate on top of his "head" though but probably no big deal).

A couple of spines on the sand wouldn't freak me out because I see that every so often when vacuuming sand but, if you start seeing more, then I'd worry.

Not sure what common, captive lifespan is since I've only had mine about 2 years.
Thanks Mike! I just figured out how to upload a 30 second video and it appears to be working so if you are also as interested and invested in the mystery of the urchin poop as I am, feel free to give it a look and let me know if it looks like what your urchin does. :)

Upvote 0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting more responses confirming it is poop means I get to enjoy the knowledge that I spent an hour of my life staring at, photographing, and squishing urchin feces (multiple times) with my bare hands. Then I posted about it online for all to see. Do I have my life together or what? Hahaha
Ha ha. I was sure I must have an old video of mine relieving itself so even searched for about 20 minutes then gave up.

Mines about the same,,, maybe a little faster.
Time for you to look into some Max Flow urchin bowel regulator or something.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Starfishandseahorse

Starfishandseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha. I was sure I must have an old video of mine relieving itself so even searched for about 20 minutes then gave up.

Mines about the same,,, maybe a little faster.
Time for you to look into some Max Flow urchin bowel regulator or something.
I love that you spent time trying to dig up your urchin poop video! I definitely would be interested to see it!

I didn’t know there was such a thing as an urchin bowel regulator! I will check it out right now! Who wouldn’t want to research and learn all about Urchin poop and bowel issues just for the heck of it? This is important information I need to know!

Thanks for the reply! Always happy to chat with a fellow aquarist and have it reinforced that we are all insane. ;)

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back