urchin?

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some strange creature has recently been spotted any1 id it? Looks like a vry small urchim its black hairy looking at first but today its seems to have spines

060411222947.jpg

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I've grown some pretty big ones before that started out as specks.

NeedBiggerTank

MTRC Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a rock that evidentially had eggs or larva or something on it - ended up with like 20 of them. Gave some away to club members, took some to AC for store credit (they sell them for $19.95) and still have two of them.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it's anyone's guess as to what kind of urchin it could be. However, with it being so small and the spines being so noticable in a crappy pic, I strongly lead to it being a long spine urchin. I have gotten an urchin from AC myself that was no bigger around than a small pencil eraser when I first found it. As it has grown over the past 7-8 months, The best ID I have found for it is that it is a Purple Urchin. The shape is exactly the same and there is purple on the tips of the lower tentacles. The purple starts showing with age. Also, The purple Urchin is from the Pacific so why would I have this from AC's Caribbean rock?
IMG_1561.jpg

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thx guys .. love little suprises like this .. gotta love this hobby :) exept of course when my clown goby dissapeared 2 days after i bought him then few days after i saw a very small mantis shrimp in a rock and quickly removed it and tore down my rocks to find the goby but no corpse was found so i assume he got ate lol fkin mantis shrimp $10 dinner this aint Red Lobster!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back