Urenoma

Jon Schuch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have recently introduced 2 new fish to a quarantine tank, a Anthias and a coral beauty with fair amounts of live rock. The Anthias although is swimming and eating fine developed a small spot on its side within a day of putting it in. Seems it is Urenoma. The Coral beauty seems just fine. Question is will the coral beauty ever be able to be added to my main DT or is the whole QT infected? Do I lose all live rock and everything associated with QT? Or is it treatable and salvageable?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have recently introduced 2 new fish to a quarantine tank, a Anthias and a coral beauty with fair amounts of live rock. The Anthias although is swimming and eating fine developed a small spot on its side within a day of putting it in. Seems it is Urenoma. The Coral beauty seems just fine. Question is will the coral beauty ever be able to be added to my main DT or is the whole QT infected? Do I lose all live rock and everything associated with QT? Or is it treatable and salvageable?
If it is Uronema, that is actually a pretty common protozoan found in many/most aquariums, where it normally feeds on bacteria. For some unknown reason (to me anyway) it becomes an internal parasite in certain newly acquired fish, notably Anthias, some wrasses and green chromis (I have rarely seen it in butterflyfish and angels). I've never worried about its presence after the initial wave of infection has passed. It is difficult to impossible to treat in fish that have it inside their muscle tissue though.
Here is a link to an article I posted here about his issue:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/uronema-red-band-disease-hemdal.788/

Jay

OP
OP
Jon Schuch

Jon Schuch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Uronema, that is actually a pretty common protozoan found in many/most aquariums, where it normally feeds on bacteria. For some unknown reason (to me anyway) it becomes an internal parasite in certain newly acquired fish, notably Anthias, some wrasses and green chromis (I have rarely seen it in butterflyfish and angels). I've never worried about its presence after the initial wave of infection has passed. It is difficult to impossible to treat in fish that have it inside their muscle tissue though.
Here is a link to an article I posted here about his issue:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/uronema-red-band-disease-hemdal.788/

Jay

Attachments

• 20210521_140904.jpg
    20210521_140904.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210521_140902.jpg
    20210521_140902.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Jon Schuch

Jon Schuch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is what she looks like today. This has been on going now for over a week or so. She is still eating and swimming around. I have been treating with Pimafix and Melafix for roughly 7 days with no help. We have Metroplex on the way but I am afraid it will be too late for that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is what she looks like today. This has been on going now for over a week or so. She is still eating and swimming around. I have been treating with Pimafix and Melafix for roughly 7 days with no help. We have Metroplex on the way but I am afraid it will be too late for that.
While the lesion is the right size and location for Uronema (and on an anthias, which commonly get this) the fact that the fish has lived with it for a week, and the lesion looks whitish, has me wondering. Since Uronema is basically untreatable anyway, I would focus on treating it as a bacterial infection. Melafix and Pimafix are just tonics, not true antibiotics. You need to dose the water with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Furna-2 or Neoplex. Even Maracyn 2 can be used. However, you need to dose this in a treatment tank, and I don't know if you have that option....

Jay

OP
OP
Jon Schuch

Jon Schuch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the lesion is the right size and location for Uronema (and on an anthias, which commonly get this) the fact that the fish has lived with it for a week, and the lesion looks whitish, has me wondering. Since Uronema is basically untreatable anyway, I would focus on treating it as a bacterial infection. Melafix and Pimafix are just tonics, not true antibiotics. You need to dose the water with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Furna-2 or Neoplex. Even Maracyn 2 can be used. However, you need to dose this in a treatment tank, and I don't know if you have that option....

Jay
The fish didn't make it! The coral beauty is doing fantastic..Very lively, great appetite! I have since done a water change and put carbon back in and no more treatments or medications and all seems well. Thank you for your expertise. Not sure what the Anthias had but I am hoping to add the Coral Beauty to the MT within another week or so.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish didn't make it! The coral beauty is doing fantastic..Very lively, great appetite! I have since done a water change and put carbon back in and no more treatments or medications and all seems well. Thank you for your expertise. Not sure what the Anthias had but I am hoping to add the Coral Beauty to the MT within another week or so.
O.K., it could have been Uronema. Did the anthias die with its mouth open? That is a good clinical sign of death caused by Uronema. My general rule is to not move a fish out of a tank and into another one when there has been an unexplained death in the first tank in the past 30 days. At the very least, if the CB is stable, wait two weeks.

Jay

OP
OP
Jon Schuch

Jon Schuch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., it could have been Uronema. Did the anthias die with its mouth open? That is a good clinical sign of death caused by Uronema. My general rule is to not move a fish out of a tank and into another one when there has been an unexplained death in the first tank in the past 30 days. At the very least, if the CB is stable, wait two weeks.

Jay

Jay

OP
OP
Jon Schuch

Jon Schuch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Ok I am not sure if it had its mouth open or not, the wife found it and disposed it. But I will definitely wait on the coral beauty.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back