URGENT HELP PLEASE

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both will absorb copper, but the rock will do the most. The sand is there for critters than need it to feel comfortable or to sleep in. using a small container with a small amount can keep it contained, letting the QT be cleaned easier while not absorbing much copper at the same time.
I ment sponge and rock.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my qt tanks have rock and some sand along with ceramic media. Once the levels are stable they stay stable at least as far as I can tell.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ment sponge and rock.

Ok. Let me see if I can explain this a little better. Rock and sand will absorb copper. If your rock isn't absorbing copper anymore, then it is probably saturated with copper at this point. The sponge will not absorb copper or any other medications so it's the best method of holding bacteria in the filter. The rock used in a QT with copper then becomes basically useless for a regular tank again since it can then leach copper for some time after. It's possible to pull the copper out over time but it takes a while and inverts and corals shouldn't be in the tank at the same time.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Let me see if I can explain this a little better. Rock and sand will absorb copper. If your rock isn't absorbing copper anymore, then it is probably saturated with copper at this point. The sponge will not absorb copper or any other medications so it's the best method of holding bacteria in the filter. The rock used in a QT with copper then becomes basically useless for a regular tank again since it can then leach copper for some time after. It's possible to pull the copper out over time but it takes a while and inverts and corals shouldn't be in the tank at the same time.
Understand, all are qt tanks for fish will never have corals or inverts. I was not aware that sponge would not suck up meds. If I would have known, I would have went that route. Thanks...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand, all are qt tanks for fish will never have corals or inverts. I was not aware that sponge would not suck up meds. If I would have known, I would have went that route. Thanks...

Technically speaking, a sponge will absorb a very small amount of copper and other medications. But it is inconsequential especially compared to rock & sand.

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys mean by using a sponge? Do you mean like filter floss? I figured with these rocks I was gonna use them as fish only or keep in qt after? Wouldn't ceramic media have the same problem?

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sponge filters, but I didn't think they would be enough
They are not filters. Their only purpose is to grow bacteria. You put it in a sump or bottom of your tank. The stuff I'm talking about anyways, it's tan. I was looking at biosponge and it all looks like filter media to me.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not filters. Their only purpose is to grow bacteria. You put it in a sump or bottom of your tank.

Actually they are filters. They only work when in direct flow. The bacteria needs water to flow through the sponge it's living on to be of any use. You can't just place them in the bottom of your tank and get any real results.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys mean by using a sponge? Do you mean like filter floss? I figured with these rocks I was gonna use them as fish only or keep in qt after? Wouldn't ceramic media have the same problem?

When the below sponge is "seeded" with live bacteria, it becomes effective bio-media (for breaking down ammonia) once placed in a HOB powerfilter.

lg-120207-FS64894K-fish.jpg
p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sponge filters, but I didn't think they would be enough

If they are simple sponge filters they might not be enough. A hang on back power filter with sponge in the back would probably be fine as long as it's rated for a little larger than your QT size.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually they are filters. They only work when in direct flow. The bacteria needs water to flow through the sponge it's living on to be of any use. You can't just place them in the bottom of your tank and get any real results.
I have the exact same filter in humbles post it came with ceramic tubes,charcoal and that filter pad. Why would you have that if you going to wash it out and still use ceramic?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same filter in humbles post it came with ceramic tubes,charcoal and that filter pad. Why would you have that if you going to wash it out and still use ceramic?

I never said to use ceramic. You would gut any HOB filter and replace all media with a simple sponge so that the water can flow through it making the biofilter effective and not drawing the meds out of the water at the same time.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said to use ceramic. You would gut any HOB filter and replace all media with a simple sponge so that the water can flow through it making the biofilter effective and not drawing the meds out of the water at the same time.
To me it defeats the purpose of the sponge on taking out the particles in the water then you wash it and there goes the bacteria.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Throw away the ceramic tubes and carbon; all you need is the sponge. If you do find yourself needing carbon (to remove meds) then buy some Rox 0.8 from BRS and put it in a media bag. Or I just steal my wife's pantyhose. I think she calls them knee highs. :p

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw away the ceramic tubes and carbon; all you need is the sponge. If you do find yourself needing carbon (to remove meds) then buy some Rox 0.8 from BRS and put it in a media bag. Or I just steal my wife's pantyhose. I think she calls them knee highs. :p
Believe me I understand, what I don't understand is the sponge is not big enough or porous enough to hold enough bacteria for any thing bigger than a ten gallon. He has a thirty. I have to do daily water changes on ten gallons and I'm using rock and ceramic with no copper and only one or two fish per tank. I almost makes more sense to me to use a filter with a bio wheel if you can't use rock.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back