Urgent jawfish question

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two pearly jaws a week ago. They’ve been bouncing around burrow to burrow, but nothing super alarming.

Just went to check on my tank (12:30 am, lights all out) and I see one of them sitting on the sandbed near the exit to its burrow- I don’t actually know which one it is, but either way its burrow is no more than a few inches away. He’s lying on the sand, seems to be breathing fast, but no obvious signs of trauma or anything. Leave him there or interfere?

OP
OP
lbiminiblue

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0154f6093558135feefbe7b4b6fbc315.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try to catch him and put him in observational QT if you have an extra tank, but good luck catching him. With no other symptoms other than heavy breathing I would just monitor closely for a bit.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also just monitor the health. I've had a few fish that look to be on deaths doorstep but the next day look fine.

Unless something else happens, I wouldn't move it. You'll just add to the stress the fish is experiencing.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine leave their burrow at night and huddle against a rock. Odd, I know, you'd think that is when they want to feel safest. Then back inside during the day.

OP
OP
lbiminiblue

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine leave their burrow at night and huddle against a rock. Odd, I know, you'd think that is when they want to feel safest. Then back inside during the day.

That’s weird. Haven’t seen him since, but also no body to be seen/huddle or crabs and snails. No apparent jumping either.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find him yet?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where they an established pair? I had two that where not once, one would give into the other so no big deal just a constant swapping of burrows. Until one day when the smaller one had enough and the fight was on. I ended up moving the larger one.

OP
OP
lbiminiblue

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where they an established pair? I had two that where not once, one would give into the other so no big deal just a constant swapping of burrows. Until one day when the smaller one had enough and the fight was on. I ended up moving the larger one.

Pretty sure they weren’t. Their burrows are/were on opposite ends of the same rock though. In such a way that they wouldn’t see each other I think.

OP
OP
lbiminiblue

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find him yet?

It appeared to be the smaller of the two that night, whose burrow I can see clearly, and he’s been in there ever since. I can’t be sure, but that’s also confusing because he seemed the most comfortable in his burrow. The one which I think is a little bigger has a burrow I can’t see into. It’s just at the mouth of a cave in my rocks, so I haven’t seen him yet. But like I said, no bodies seen.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back