Urgent - non brute container

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have an urgent concern. I just went to Lowe’s, and they were out of Brute 32 gallon containers, so I bought one from “Blue Hawk.” Model 0227199.

anyway, I just mixed 16 cups of tropic Marin sea salt, and the salinity is around 1.018. Very strange that it’s that low. Could this cheaper container be leaching out that much salt, or am I losing my mind?!

more general question, why does everyone seem to agree they have to be Brute? Is it a concern with long term storage, or could problems occur this fast?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are losing your mind. :) If the water isn’t heated the salt won’t dissolve completely. Make sure it’s well mixed. The key for containers is that they need to be food grade-which brutes are. As long as the container meets that requirement it’s fine. Not sure about the one you got.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above comment, although the water does not have to be heated. Warm water DOES help the salt dissolve more easily. It does NOT change salinity. Most likely, your salt is not completely dissolved.

Edit: I also use the bluehawk cans for mixing and storage. They work just fine and I have never had an issue with salinity.

I use an old water pump in the can to make sure I get a thorough mix.

OP
OP
K

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, and thumbs up on the blue hawk. I added 4 more cups and the salinity escalated to over 1.030. :-/

I’ve been mixing with a pump, and have it heated to 77 degrees. No idea what happened. anyway, now I’ve got to dilute it some more.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have an urgent concern. I just went to Lowe’s, and they were out of Brute 32 gallon containers, so I bought one from “Blue Hawk.” Model 0227199.

anyway, I just mixed 16 cups of tropic Marin sea salt, and the salinity is around 1.018. Very strange that it’s that low. Could this cheaper container be leaching out that much salt, or am I losing my mind?!

more general question, why does everyone seem to agree they have to be Brute? Is it a concern with long term storage, or could problems occur this fast?
It has something to do with the markings on the bottom. You are looking for certain plastic that is not gunna leach or anything. Usually on bottom there will be a stamping and then you need to research what that stamp means. I’m sorry i don’t know what the stamp means exactly but if you find it you can google it and then compare to brute

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from bottom of my brute. I think the one you looking at is the triangle with represents what it’s made from or like if it’s food safe or something. Hope this helps
569AF4FD-3530-4E4B-8613-BDFDA9B6DEE6.jpeg
FAB3AD07-30ED-4A60-B243-AA3D8596959C.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes what fordtech showed. From what i have seen 1,2,4, and 5 are considered food safe, but some questions about #1. Never use 3,6, or 7.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, and thumbs up on the blue hawk. I added 4 more cups and the salinity escalated to over 1.030. :-/

I’ve been mixing with a pump, and have it heated to 77 degrees. No idea what happened. anyway, now I’ve got to dilute it some more.

how are you measuring Salinity ? Hanna checker ? Sometimes there is a film on the surface soon after mixing. So that film prevents proper measurement. I have to agitate the surface so the film goes away before I get a good measurement.
I use the tropic marine pro salt but with a brute, same issue.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back