Urgent pls save my tank

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am experiencing my first tank crash here.
So I’ve had my tank running 2 years now problems as you would guess but nothing serious.
Alls been week until this morning. Yesterday I cleaned my skimmer the usual way and replaced some carbon.
Also did some hair algie removal from around some gsp.
This morning a awake to a cloudy looking tank. I assumed my new got stuck in a power head but they all there. All the fish are present. So I reach for my test kit.
Ammonia. 2.0ppm never been above 0 before
Nitrite 0 ppm where it usually is
Nitrate. Between 40-20ppm 5 is the highest I’ve ever had

How has this happened over night and what should I be doing here.
I’ve removed the carbon because that’s the only real change I’ve made along side some ato water..
I am heading for some fresh salt water. 25 litres it’s a 250 litre tank.
Am hoping I can get some advice before I get back so I can have a plan off action.
Thanks in advance

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you send use anything different to clean the protein skimmer?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like a bacterial bloom. You say you cleaned the skimmer cup, did you use vinegar? If everything wasn't rinsed well enough, this would be an added carbon source, and bacteria love carbon sources.

Normally, however, a bacterial bloom doesn't add ammonia, it will CERTAINLY raise nitrate.

You mention all the fish are present, but not their condition or behavior. Watch their aspiration rate and see if they're not 'breathing heavy'. In the meantime, water change, and increase the surface agitation on the tank for better oxygen transfer.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u sure if the ammonia readingm that would indicate something big has died in the tank that ur bacteria isn't able.to cope with.
I'd cross check it with another test.
Run multiple.large water changes around 30-40 percent and make sure water temp and alkalinity matches tank to.minimize shock. Run carbon and change it every couple days. Make sure ur skimmer is working well as itll help in oxygen mating the water. Observe ur fish for signs of fast breathing or decreased motion as bacteria sucks out oxygen from water and if severe enough can cause oxygen deprivation to fish. Also ammonia reading if true might get to them.
A UV would help with the bacterial bloom. I wouldn't add bacteria at this stage.

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u sure if the ammonia readingm that would indicate something big has died in the tank that ur bacteria isn't able.to cope with.
I'd cross check it with another test.
Run multiple.large water changes around 30-40 percent and make sure water temp and alkalinity matches tank to.minimize shock. Run carbon and change it every couple days. Make sure ur skimmer is working well as itll help in oxygen mating the water. Observe ur fish for signs of fast breathing or decreased motion as bacteria sucks out oxygen from water and if severe enough can cause oxygen deprivation to fish. Also ammonia reading if true might get to them.
A UV would help with the bacterial bloom. I wouldn't add bacteria at this stage.
Thankyou I have put surface agitation to max and now put the uv on.
Thankyou

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like a bacterial bloom. You say you cleaned the skimmer cup, did you use vinegar? If everything wasn't rinsed well enough, this would be an added carbon source, and bacteria love carbon sources.

Normally, however, a bacterial bloom doesn't add ammonia, it will CERTAINLY raise nitrate.

You mention all the fish are present, but not their condition or behavior. Watch their aspiration rate and see if they're not 'breathing heavy'. In the meantime, water change, and increase the surface agitation on the tank for better oxygen transfer.
They seemed fine earlyer but breathing a lil heavier now, but I think more off being spooked than anything.
I don’t use anything to clean the skimmer I just wipe it with clean water and old floss from the filter.
But while cleaning I notice the neck had more of a black colour to it.
Reason for it was. Bare with me here. Where most people have a filter sock, I also use carbon here with a layer off floss on top, now on this occasion for some reason I must have forgot to put floss on top off the carbon so the skimmer must had been pulling dustie particles from the carbon. This must have been at least 2 weeks or so ago. I had no problems until I cleaned everything up.
Could this have contributed to the bloom?
Sorry for such a long reply

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres where I am now I’ve done a water change although not very big.i will do 2moro 50 litres is the most I can do at a time.
Put the uv light on, ramped up the flow, after a pot off tea I will be putting a mix off carbon and fresh phos remover in the reactor I think it was due anyway.
Lps advised me to add some start up bacteria so I bought microbe lift special blend.
Should I be using this or not?

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nopox looks like it’s lower than I should be, could an overdose of coursed this?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heres where I am now I’ve done a water change although not very big.i will do 2moro 50 litres is the most I can do at a time.
Put the uv light on, ramped up the flow, after a pot off tea I will be putting a mix off carbon and fresh phos remover in the reactor I think it was due anyway.
Lps advised me to add some start up bacteria so I bought microbe lift special blend.
Should I be using this or not?
I use special blend weekly when I do my water changes. It just gives your bacteria a boost...like popeye eating spinach for your tank.

You have a lot of good advice here and the first tank CHANGE ( I dont say crash cause I think you are ok ).

Sounds like bacteria is trying to control the ammonia spike.

You also have a lot of "buffers" in your tank and getting those all new and refreshed isnt a bad idea.

If there are no dead fish or inverts, then the ammonia was released from something. By chance was Some sand was stirred or a rock moved? Even that sometimes will cause this.

I second the usage of the bacteria booster and change of media before anything else.

If the fish are still alive and not at the top of your tank on their sides then the tank is working the ammonia out and the bac will do its job.

What test kit are you using....?

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use special blend weekly when I do my water changes. It just gives your bacteria a boost...like popeye eating spinach for your tank.

You have a lot of good advice here and the first tank CHANGE ( I dont say crash cause I think you are ok ).

Sounds like bacteria is trying to control the ammonia spike.

You also have a lot of "buffers" in your tank and getting those all new and refreshed isnt a bad idea.

If there are no dead fish or inverts, then the ammonia was released from something. By chance was Some sand was stirred or a rock moved? Even that sometimes will cause this.

I second the usage of the bacteria booster and change of media before anything else.

If the fish are still alive and not at the top of your tank on their sides then the tank is working the ammonia out and the bac will do its job.

What test kit are you using....?
That’s great to here,
I still have a blood red shrimp I’ve not seen yet but I don’t thats the culprit.
I will add special blend.
I use api test kit for ammo an traits and salifert for alk etc.

It’s been a few hours now it looks worse can’t even see the back glass now.

I lost both shrimp For deff

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s great to here,
I still have a blood red shrimp I’ve not seen yet but I don’t thats the culprit.
I will add special blend.
I use api test kit for ammo an traits and salifert for alk etc.

It’s been a few hours now it looks worse can’t even see the back glass now.

I lost both shrimp For deff
Api is notoriously bad at reading ammonia. I'm not saying it's not there I'm just saying if it was as bad as you think the fish would be dead already or floating towards the top gasping for air.

Do a large water change and add special blend to your new water.

Let it settle for about an hour and see if that helps.

If it doesnt then we can look at the next step to take.

If you need to eventually add a bunch of chemicals to bind the ammonia you can but this is the more natural start and long term solution.

As long as fish aren't dying.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with everyone and sounds like a bloom, recently cleaned filters with vinegar, water change, put back together and a few hours later everything in tank has labored breathing.

Pointed power heads to surface and added air stone for good measure and shortly everyone swimming around, completely cleared up next day. Of course a water change in our tanks is always good, doing a large water change with the bacteria bloom didn’t help immediately

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Test for ammonia and unless the ammonia is high from my experience I wouldn’t dose anything, just give the tank some added oxygen and everything will settle.
If it is a bacterial bloom, the bloom is consuming a lot of the oxygen.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nopox looks like it’s lower than I should be, could an overdose of coursed this?

If you overdosed the NOPOX that’s exactly what has happened.
In addition to the water changes if you have a larger air pump/stone to add to increase oxygen, I’d guess you’re seeing a pretty good drop in PH

I’ve seen the NOPOX overdose do exactly as your describing and it didn’t end well I’m afraid to say.

Sorry to read this

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back