Urgh seriously.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Huh ! What post lol. Sadly as embarrassing as this is I have no clue what Neptune’s systems are actually. As far as triton I don’t use any of their products, I mainly use redsea and seachem lol. I’m only testing often now because my tank is being a drama queen teenager and can’t make its mind up. To bad I can’t prescribe it some mood swing medications,
That would be amazing.

He meant Trident and don’t you use a Neptune Apex controller?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He meant Trident and don’t you use a Neptune Apex controller?

Hello;

Lol oh me oh goodness no. I do everything by hand because I kinda suck at technology. I do all my own testing with api kits (yes not the greatest but in the ball park). In terms of dosing and top off I do everything by hand. I have been too terrified to make anything automated, except my lights, which is nice. Then for temp control I have a magnetic one that sticks to the glass and then a digital kitchen aid version to make sure it’s on. Which is odd also I can never get my tank below 80. Even with my heaters at 72 I climb to 80, maybe I should go lower and see if it drops.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello;

Lol oh me oh goodness no. I do everything by hand because I kinda suck at technology. I do all my own testing with api kits (yes not the greatest but in the ball park). In terms of dosing and top off I do everything by hand. I have been too terrified to make anything automated, except my lights, which is nice. Then for temp control I have a magnetic one that sticks to the glass and then a digital kitchen aid version to make sure it’s on. Which is odd also I can never get my tank below 80. Even with my heaters at 72 I climb to 80, maybe I should go lower and see if it drops.

Oh wow. I have all automation I can get. Sounds like you may need a chiller!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today needless to say as I was in a hurry to get with my study group etc. stopped at Taco Bell just to get something to drink. (It was the closest place). Anyway I asked the drive thru girl five times for a value water and it kept coming to 3.99, for a value water? I finally asked if I could speak to someone smarter on the subject. However to my surprise lol I simply meant someone with more experience. In which their boss said I called them stupid which I didn’t. But as I tried to explain I just wanted a cup of water, he told me I was demon sent by the devil and I can’t be at a holy place. Am I missing something here other than my water which I paid for and still didn’t get?
Ha! This is hilarious! I never knew Taco Bell was a holy place. So, you are a demon now? I wonder if the manager will notice you next time he is in your ER and sees that you are his doctor? That would be another funny moment. :)

Huh ! What post lol. Sadly as embarrassing as this is I have no clue what Neptune’s systems are actually. As far as triton I don’t use any of their products, I mainly use redsea and seachem lol. I’m only testing often now because my tank is being a drama queen teenager and can’t make its mind up. To bad I can’t prescribe it some mood swing medications,
That would be amazing.
It's not Triton. He was talking about Neptune Trident. It is an automatic water analyzer for your big three parameters - calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. It tests your water automatically several times a day. You can even connect it to their dosing system and dose according to testing. They are hard to get right now and you would need the APEX controller (or the "value" version, the EL) to run it. It is much cheaper to do it yourself, but not as cool. :cool:

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! This is hilarious! I never knew Taco Bell was a holy place. So, you are a demon now? I wonder if the manager will notice you next time he is in your ER and sees that you are his doctor? That would be another funny moment. :)

It's not Triton. He was talking about Neptune Trident. It is an automatic water analyzer for your big three parameters - calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. It tests your water automatically several times a day. You can even connect it to their dosing system and dose according to testing. They are hard to get right now and you would need the APEX controller (or the "value" version, the EL) to run it. It is much cheaper to do it yourself, but not as cool. :cool:

Hello,

Currently with how my tank is behaving that system seems like a blessing. I was really use to the fact my tank always took 1.5 tablespoons of alk and calcium each day on the money. Then suddenly they both changed and now I have to test daily just to keep it constant. I have no idea why and all sps corals are doing great. Most lps are the same I lost both scolys (one was my fault I accidentally set it on a rock and it of course fell off and landed soft tissue side onto the Miami hurricane and stung it to death. It struggled for about three months tried to come back then just gave up. The second one I have no idea what happened, it was doing great then in two days gone. Starting to think my water is too clean I have a tad of hair alage but low phosphates and nitrates. Been feeding heavier to help the lps and softies and sps still doing good. I had to move my huge blue green hammer, it was mad for some reason (19 months in the same spot) then wouldn’t come out for a week. It’s sweepers may have been making contact with my mystic sunset. So I moved it to the sand bed, and nothing around and see what happens. It has about the same amount of flow but kinda at a loss.

Two weeks ago I had stress ick and worried to death on my fish, now I have issues with some corals and nothing has changed. Except the big three have declined, which sometimes happens but I don’t know why. Maybe @Brew12 you may know why they do this? Any ideas?

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay so update my darlings :). And that my tank is driving me bat crazy. The corals are doing fine and sps specially, and the fish doing great. Yet, my water parameters are like a typical teenager with severe mood swing disorder. My alk and calcium usage has gone to basically 1/4 of normal and calcium low as .5 every other day? This can’t be good, but testing daily and keeping alk at 8 and calcium around 440. Not sure if I dropped magnesium or if trace elements are too high. My nitrates and phosphates are super low, which to avoid dinos, I’m feeding more and feeding the corals
More just to make sure.

Still can’t figure out why my blue green hammer is mad. It’s still extended but not normally as bushy. Moved and placed on sand bed, so it definitely gets feed the myosis. So any experts on blue green hammers I’m all ears.

Had small hair alage and they are very small, and added five turbo snails and holy heck they are all over it. I may add ten more this weekend and enlarge my cuc. Reduced nopox to min dosage again. Oh the joys of teenagers lol.’

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Does anyone ever have those days where (even with my tank that I love,) your just ready to say I’m done. It’s getting overly hard between work, and studying for my step 3 that even hobbies I love I just wanna see forget it. Now as I say this yes my tank has been kinda throwing curve balls at me. As much as I say I would just not doing it anymore, (I won’t love it too much). It’s bad when I can do the daily routine in less than 20 min including testing etc. (not including like a water change or maintenance). But even other hobbies I have pretty much literally stopped because either A.) I’m exhausted, B), finding time is like a fish finding water in the Sahara desert. Not to mention (I would regret it but) I had to get new registration for my Jeep, and he wait time was 2 hours in Boise for crying out loud. They have 50 windows to help people and 10 are open, hmm (there is a clue). But ended up missing my study group for my step 3 test and it’s not something I should be missing. But now have to make the study time up tonight, but have all my tank maintence tonight. Plus even though work told me they would cut me to 12 hr I’m still on the 24 hr and have to work tonight as well. It’s hard to pick where to cut time when your at the min as is.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First, please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section, but I have never had this happen before and I am panicking.

So I have a 240 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump tank. To be nice I let my brother and his children stay in my home for this week. (Long story) I just came home and found out that my nephews have been urinating in my sump tank. I don’t know how long they have been doing it, how often. I came home and caught my 5 year old nephew red handed.

I immediately shut down my return pumps, and shut the union valves underneath off and shut all flow from the tank to the sump off completely. I have no idea how much has already been sent into my main display tank, and how long. I’m doing a water test now to see where my parameters are now. I also have enough salt water stores to do 80 gallon water change.

The only thing I have added was I turned on my magnum 350 canister filter which there are two of them. One is a purification filter (it’s white) and the second is a straight carbon only. Any thing else I should be doing, I’m worried about my fish and corals.

Thanks
Wow why would anyone do that?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Does anyone ever have those days where (even with my tank that I love,) your just ready to say I’m done. It’s getting overly hard between work, and studying for my step 3 that even hobbies I love I just wanna see forget it. Now as I say this yes my tank has been kinda throwing curve balls at me. As much as I say I would just not doing it anymore, (I won’t love it too much). It’s bad when I can do the daily routine in less than 20 min including testing etc. (not including like a water change or maintenance). But even other hobbies I have pretty much literally stopped because either A.) I’m exhausted, B), finding time is like a fish finding water in the Sahara desert. Not to mention (I would regret it but) I had to get new registration for my Jeep, and he wait time was 2 hours in Boise for crying out loud. They have 50 windows to help people and 10 are open, hmm (there is a clue). But ended up missing my study group for my step 3 test and it’s not something I should be missing. But now have to make the study time up tonight, but have all my tank maintence tonight. Plus even though work told me they would cut me to 12 hr I’m still on the 24 hr and have to work tonight as well. It’s hard to pick where to cut time when your at the min as is.
U can skip algae scraping and water changing for a week. Pass your test, get that dream job (or a raise), make it up to your tank on the back end with some fancy new gear u can buy with all that extra $

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello;

You really need to get a temp controller. Order a ranco, they are like $70. It will solve all of your temp problems. Did you upgrade your nitrate test kit from api yet? That’s a dangerous game relying on api at low ranges and dosing Nopox.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathe honey! We all have days like that. :) You're not alone!

Hello;

It’s just been like lol 2 months of who knows what (spin the dial and see where it lands). Things wouldn’t bug me if for example work didn’t say plan on doing 12 so you can study for your orals and written and step 3. Then this whole month scheduled 24 hour shifts. Which the orals and written are end of July, but there isn’t study guide or really for those except (patients I have done, which is what I am reviewing, but that’s usually for oral only. Written not a clue what it will be like. Step 3 shouldn’t be terrible but have to study for all three at once, work, plus normal life and whatever else falls into my lap.

You really need to get a temp controller. Order a ranco, they are like $70. It will solve all of your temp problems. Did you upgrade your nitrate test kit from api yet? That’s a dangerous game relying on api at low ranges and dosing Nopox.

It’s not temp issues that I’m having it’s more just random. Example my tank always now for about a year takes 1.5 tablespoons of alk and calcium daily. Now all of a sudden some times I won’t dose either one, they won’t move. I have used my api test and then paid my lfs to retest w redsea and they were pretty much the same. It’s all sps doing great fish great now (no new issues or outbreaks etc), but like my blue green hammer and two scolys have done great this whole time then scoly died in two days it was very quick. The hammer still looks good but won’t extend all the way out, it’s not bushy like normal. But no idea why, so now I’m testing daily. The ic loop blue tooth has a temp probe that links to my phone and I have a new magnetic one on the glass and they both read the same. Both heaters are at 70 degree and my water is close to 80 with house temp at 68.

Wow why would anyone do that?

They were my brothers children, which are that toddler age back then lol. Didn’t hurt the tank any, freaked me out.

U can skip algae scraping and water changing for a week. Pass your test, get that dream job (or a raise), make it up to your tank on the back end with some fancy new gear u can buy with all that extra $

Those I have been skipping it’s the other major stuff I can’t because my tank can’t Make its mind up on how much alk and calcium if wants to use in a day. (Yes my tank is an addict lol).

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt, stick with water changes only imo.
Precisely what I am doing. Of course, my tank is about 18% the size of hers. Good luck Sarah! Our tanks are bent on confounding us.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay it’s officially drive me nuts because I can’t seem to find a reason or typical reasons why a tank or my tank would go from 1.5 tablespoons of alk and calcium a day (literally every day for almost a year), to hardly any at all for over a week now. All corals sps look great fish are good, (lost a scoly in two days and my blue and green hammer is still mad but the frogspawn is happy as anything. My clam is doing well etc.

I’m curious if Boise massive temp swing had anything to do with it. 50s one week then high 80s-90s next? Possibly a low ph but that was tested like two weeks ago and was 8.1. Maybe add more oxygen to the tank? I can’t be the new uv steralizer because it’s not here yet. Heat is at 79-80 in the tank and has been for some time now. I feed the corals this week already twice, and last week. Haven’t added fuel in awhile and pretty sure my trace elements are not too high.

Maybe just needs a 30 gallon water change for the giggles. I do super small ones but usually 5 gallons once a month since I dose. Any one have this happen before and where they able to figure out why?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay it’s officially drive me nuts because I can’t seem to find a reason or typical reasons why a tank or my tank would go from 1.5 tablespoons of alk and calcium a day (literally every day for almost a year), to hardly any at all for over a week now. All corals sps look great fish are good, (lost a scoly in two days and my blue and green hammer is still mad but the frogspawn is happy as anything. My clam is doing well etc.

I’m curious if Boise massive temp swing had anything to do with it. 50s one week then high 80s-90s next? Possibly a low ph but that was tested like two weeks ago and was 8.1. Maybe add more oxygen to the tank? I can’t be the new uv steralizer because it’s not here yet. Heat is at 79-80 in the tank and has been for some time now. I feed the corals this week already twice, and last week. Haven’t added fuel in awhile and pretty sure my trace elements are not too high.

Maybe just needs a 30 gallon water change for the giggles. I do super small ones but usually 5 gallons once a month since I dose. Any one have this happen before and where they able to figure out why?
It may be one of those mysteries you will not be able to put your finger on. I would not sweat it too much. Remember too our testing is done at a hobby level not in a lab. Reefers are smart people who build intricate systems for their livestock. We like to think we can control the whole system, but we really cannot. My best advice is to monitor the uptake and do not do anything drastic (like I did when I did not like my numbers and led to a big fail). Keep it real simple.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be one of those mysteries you will not be able to put your finger on. I would not sweat it too much. Remember too our testing is done at a hobby level not in a lab. Reefers are smart people who build intricate systems for their livestock. We like to think we can control the whole system, but we really cannot. My best advice is to monitor the uptake and do not do anything drastic (like I did when I did not like my numbers and led to a big fail). Keep it real simple.

Hello,

All I’m doing now is testing daily and making sure I stay around 8 and 440 for calcium. Most have said that even though my calcium intake has changed dosing the trace elements at 1.5ml per day wouldn’t change much if anything. I may turn my lights down just to see if my hammer responds better and one other chalice that was doing amazing so amazing until I dropped it onto my miami hurricane and it stung it. Now I’m fighting to keep it alive, super glued where itnwas losing tissue and that didn’t work. If it proceeds I’ll have the lfs cut it the whole bad piece off and frag small ones. Not sure if coral dipping it would help at all.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

All I’m doing now is testing daily and making sure I stay around 8 and 440 for calcium. Most have said that even though my calcium intake has changed dosing the trace elements at 1.5ml per day wouldn’t change much if anything. I may turn my lights down just to see if my hammer responds better and one other chalice that was doing amazing so amazing until I dropped it onto my miami hurricane and it stung it. Now I’m fighting to keep it alive, super glued where itnwas losing tissue and that didn’t work. If it proceeds I’ll have the lfs cut it the whole bad piece off and frag small ones. Not sure if coral dipping it would help at all.
If it is healing a dip might be harsh. Something more like an iodine dip perhaps would be helpful, but I am not really experienced with that,

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello;

Today I’m enjoying looney tunes my favorite ones instead of anything else I’m suppose to do. Why, because I will go crazy lol. But with out do some of my favorites
1.) long haired hare, 2.) barber of sevelle, 3.) masked terror 4.) buccaneer bunny 5.) hill billy hare 6.) rackateer rabbit 7.)rabbit hood 8.) hair raising hare just to start out :). There are lots of Daffy Duck and porky pig as well. I have the entire golden collection volumes 1-6 and platinum 1-3 plus like ten others lol. Robin Hood daffy is really good also and showbiz where he says make up every time he is injured

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back