OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!

Classic. I love the one with bugs and the bull too. The bull’s expressions are so funny.

Oh omg gosh what is that one gosh I know I have it. Have you watched long haired hare that one just cracks me up lol and the opera singer. Barber Seville I can’t stop laughing also but one of the best performances of porky pig is him in duck hood (that you mentioned) his laugh his just hysterical I love it. Love when daffy says no I’ll join you meet friar Duck lol

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The barber is a great one. I also love “What’s Opera, Doc” based on Ride of the Valkyries. Who am I kidding, I love them all.

Oh I love them all like hare way to the stars which is Marvin the Martian, mad as mars hare is classic Marvin Martian and the famous where the kaboom there is suppose to be an amazing earth shattering kaboom. I have the entire golden collection 1-6 the platinum section volumes 1-3 and then several (8-10) trying to complete all of them. Never gets old, I sadly not into the 20-30s version black and white ones but the ones on Saturday cartoons I looovvvvvvve.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay it’s officially drive me nuts because I can’t seem to find a reason or typical reasons why a tank or my tank would go from 1.5 tablespoons of alk and calcium a day (literally every day for almost a year), to hardly any at all for over a week now. All corals sps look great fish are good, (lost a scoly in two days and my blue and green hammer is still mad but the frogspawn is happy as anything. My clam is doing well etc.

I’m curious if Boise massive temp swing had anything to do with it. 50s one week then high 80s-90s next? Possibly a low ph but that was tested like two weeks ago and was 8.1. Maybe add more oxygen to the tank? I can’t be the new uv steralizer because it’s not here yet. Heat is at 79-80 in the tank and has been for some time now. I feed the corals this week already twice, and last week. Haven’t added fuel in awhile and pretty sure my trace elements are not too high.

Maybe just needs a 30 gallon water change for the giggles. I do super small ones but usually 5 gallons once a month since I dose. Any one have this happen before and where they able to figure out why?
Off the wall questions. :- )

If alk and calcium additions are needed when the coral grows, that means the coral is growing less right now.

Has your local water department changed any chemical usage?

Has your LFS (where you get your water) had any RODI filter issues lately?

You do small water changes. Nothing enormous.
Possible new water is just enough to mildly annoy some of your corals?

Local city switched from chlorine to chloramine decades ago.
Didn't tell anyone at the time.
Didn't realize it would matter to some people.
Fresh water LFS found out the hard way it mattered a lot.
Huge die offs because chloramine doesn't dissipate quickly like chlorine does in a tank environment.
LFS needed a whole new protocol from just "aeration for 24 hours then good to use".

Paul B has mentioned his locak city water chemistry changes in the past drastically altering his RODI filter depletion.

So have many others.

Check with your local water department.

I don't remember what you did/didn't do over the fish/ich issue.

Any changes that might have been enough to annoy a few of your corals?

In spite of a few minor setbacks, it sounds like your system is still amazing. :- )
Don't go overboard chasing stuff.
:- )

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the wall questions. :- )

If alk and calcium additions are needed when the coral grows, that means the coral is growing less right now.

Has your local water department changed any chemical usage?

Has your LFS (where you get your water) had any RODI filter issues lately?

You do small water changes. Nothing enormous.
Possible new water is just enough to mildly annoy some of your corals?

Local city switched from chlorine to chloramine decades ago.
Didn't tell anyone at the time.
Didn't realize it would matter to some people.
Fresh water LFS found out the hard way it mattered a lot.
Huge die offs because chloramine doesn't dissipate quickly like chlorine does in a tank environment.
LFS needed a whole new protocol from just "aeration for 24 hours then good to use".

Paul B has mentioned his locak city water chemistry changes in the past drastically altering his RODI filter depletion.

So have many others.

Check with your local water department.

I don't remember what you did/didn't do over the fish/ich issue.

Any changes that might have been enough to annoy a few of your corals?

In spite of a few minor setbacks, it sounds like your system is still amazing. :- )
Don't go overboard chasing stuff.

Hello,

I don’t use any city water at all for my tank, but maybe my lfs does. All water parameters have been consistent with what’s normal but the usage has declined. Alkalinity for the first time went back to 1.5 tablespoons last night, in over a week, that’s with me testing daily and dosing whatever amount to stay at 8. Usually it was .5 tablespoon or less and more. This is the fourth day in a row my calcium has stayed at 440. I’ll test tonight and see what it shows up as, salinity has been at 1.025 from mine and tests from lfs. I did notice when I turned the lights down alk spiked up again, maybe I need to cut some daylight out and make them utilize the light they have. Will do it slowly of course but makes me wonder.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry @norfolkgarden meant to answer all and hit post too soon. The stress ick I just turned the lights lower added vitamin c and then changed to better food and added extra cap of garlic. Went away in four days, no other fish had signs and the two who did have signs show full recovery atm. I usually carbon dose, and avoid water changes but may start doing 20 a week. It will take forever but it’s only 20.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I don’t use any city water at all for my tank, but maybe my lfs does. All water parameters have been consistent with what’s normal but the usage has declined. Alkalinity for the first time went back to 1.5 tablespoons last night, in over a week, that’s with me testing daily and dosing whatever amount to stay at 8. Usually it was .5 tablespoon or less and more. This is the fourth day in a row my calcium has stayed at 440. I’ll test tonight and see what it shows up as, salinity has been at 1.025 from mine and tests from lfs. I did notice when I turned the lights down alk spiked up again, maybe I need to cut some daylight out and make them utilize the light they have. Will do it slowly of course but makes me wonder.
A lot of people dig shallow wells here for yard irrigation. Some of them are fine and a lot spray liquid rust. :-/
The iron content is crazy.
You can see the 'rust' on the base of the houses if the irrigation spray pattern installation was done poorly.

Our actual drinking water comes from small lakes spread throughout the area.

Does Boise use municipal wells for drinking water or local lakes?

The main issue would be municipal water works switching to a newer, 'improved' chemical (for human health, hopefully not just because it's cheaper...Flint, Michigan) and the new chemicals having unexpected adverse side effects to things other than people.

I hear sps are finicky. I can't keep them alive more than a few months at a time to find out. :-/

Hope you have a wonderful Father's Day with your family.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people dig shallow wells here for yard irrigation. Some of them are fine and a lot spray liquid rust. :-/
The iron content is crazy.
You can see the 'rust' on the base of the houses if the irrigation spray pattern installation was done poorly.

Our actual drinking water comes from small lakes spread throughout the area.

Does Boise use municipal wells for drinking water or local lakes?

The main issue would be municipal water works switching to a newer, 'improved' chemical (for human health, hopefully not just because it's cheaper...Flint, Michigan) and the new chemicals having unexpected adverse side effects to things other than people.

I hear sps are finicky. I can't keep them alive more than a few months at a time to find out. :-/

Hope you have a wonderful Father's Day with your family.

Hello,

Thank you and we are giving him a new bbq. Boise main water source is lucky peak resivoir where all the mountain snow drains into. It’s then dammed and forms the Boise river and most water is sourced from there. Maybe my trace elements (where one has iron is too high). Even though I onky dose 1mg a day I can see over time how that can increase yet I don’t do water changes often either so in theory mine should be depleted

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Went to the lfs and traded some coral with lfs (where another local person brought in an Australian acan colony, Australian elegance and this Acro that little has the colors of homewrecker. Needless to say I traded all of them for corals that I had fragged and brought in. All I can say is these are gorgeous and yes I’m posting pics but they don’t do them justice. There is also a red/purple/green favia last pic but again colors are insane even with brights on but iPhone takes terrible pics of my corals on any light setting

6CEFFD26-DDC4-4430-8678-1A19E7C66BAD.jpeg

6496735A-5E72-4A1E-976A-DDF04E0CCA99.jpeg

35504460-21FB-4197-ADF7-D2BD18B679C7.jpeg

034141FC-60FA-4B05-AEE0-7D948DA0D47C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you wear swimmies while placing those just in case?

Hello,

Ummmmmm yes I had a life jacket on, scuba gear and two bay watch life guards (that I had to fire, because they couldn’t stop posting Instragram photos of how tan they were), and pictures of me hmmmmmm drowning myself, may have to come next time. I keep hearing that I can’t take a selfie under saltwater with my iPhone but, no harm in trying right.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have to go through and frag some sps colonies (for example my forest fire digi) keeps shading my clam. So need to frag it which I either give away or trade. I have never had the desire to make money on it. I frag often for other corals at my lfs which is nice. It does save me money but saves them money also (or makes them money). But friends i just not into let’s get rich on coral.

2E455BB2-8220-4020-A8F6-E72F5F30CD3F.jpeg

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wow I have missed all of you on my thread lol (I have I become that boring lol). @Fin I can assure you that your mind is fine and we are all a little crazy :). You know what’s odd is I have all these things I have wanted to do and put them off and then finally do them. Then a little while later I have just not had the energy to still do it. One example is my nieces extremely difficult advanced doll house. If I knew I had to know how to build a real house for a Barbie I would have gone to school for something else. I still have siding and shingles and run the darn electrical wires for the small sockets. It even has small plastic pipes for running water. But it’s huge and the instructions are like me picking up a book with out pictures and reading it upside down backwards and in a different language. So it sits in my craft room, and I keep promising it will be done before she is 18.

@JoshH where have you been hiding lol you know, if your plumbing costs 1000 I don’t even wanna see the rest of your tank. Because it will make mine look 1000 times worse lol.

@NY_Caveman lol you think is mind is broken, could you figure mine out. It’s sad when I forget what day of the week it is. Now that I study all the time for orals and my step 3 and written (different from step 3), plus work has turned my brain to mush. Not to mention my study group is so dry that they make burnt toast and I’m talking about the stuff that has almost caught fire burnt, look normal with butter and fav jam on it. We had one group member who wanted us to study our exams from step one and two 3 hours a day. I can see referencing them lol but 3 hours nope. We have one girl who had to use the bathroom every four minutes. Yes my brain has gone to mush and I still can’t even figure out my own tank.

My phone wouldn’t get internet, (sorry I couldn’t post all at once), can we no longer call iPhones smart! Nor did I realize which thread I was on (sorry @Fin I’m a little tired and forgot since my wasn’t getting internet where we were studying for some reason).

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 33 35.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 51 54.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.3%
Back