Uronema or Bump Injury?

JRichlenReef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2025
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Location
Newport Beach
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a trio of Chromis for 3 months now, all eat well, swim together, but sometimes chase and nip at one another. In addition they have a habit of backing into holes where my royal gramma hangs out, where they will swiftly be chased away.

A red dot with a white center has appeared on one of their tails, that appears to be more pronounced on its left side but still visible on the right.

Is this early onset Uronema, or just a bite / bump injury?

IMG_3423.jpeg IMG_3435.jpeg
 
Its behavior is normal as far as I can tell. I just fed some frozen brine shrimp and it came right up to the top of the tank to grab the first ones dropped in.
 
Upvote 0
I’ve had a trio of Chromis for 3 months now, all eat well, swim together, but sometimes chase and nip at one another. In addition they have a habit of backing into holes where my royal gramma hangs out, where they will swiftly be chased away.

A red dot with a white center has appeared on one of their tails, that appears to be more pronounced on its left side but still visible on the right.

Is this early onset Uronema, or just a bite / bump injury?

IMG_3423.jpeg IMG_3435.jpeg
This is an injury as uronema is oval and ciliated. Best prevention of uronema is to maintain proper salinity and prevent buildup of waste in the tank
 
Upvote 0
I’ve had a trio of Chromis for 3 months now, all eat well, swim together, but sometimes chase and nip at one another. In addition they have a habit of backing into holes where my royal gramma hangs out, where they will swiftly be chased away.

A red dot with a white center has appeared on one of their tails, that appears to be more pronounced on its left side but still visible on the right.

Is this early onset Uronema, or just a bite / bump injury?

IMG_3423.jpeg IMG_3435.jpeg

I agree - I've never seen inter cellular Uronema on a fin like that. This is just a bump or bite injury. As you've discovered, green chromis don't always "play nice".
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new