uronema question

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the symptoms of urnema in clownfish?
is it only red blotches?

my clown seem to have red blotches. it seems to come and go. last week there were some, then a few days later, the blotches kinda dwindle down. Today, there were blotches again.

he is not breathing heavy, no swimming to powerhead. very active. one thing ive noticed is hes kinda doing the mating dance when he's resting on the pvc pipe. im 100% its not flashing. only tank mate is an achilles tang. not seeing any aggression between them.

they are finished with 30 days coppersafe, 2 rounds of prazi. Same with achilles, hes not showing signs of ich or velvet or any disease. or any itching for that matter. theyre both eating like pigs.

ill try to get a pic asap.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I've ever seen Uronema in a clownfish - their slimecoat seems to protect them against it better than, say, Chromis or Genicanthus. Perhaps @Humblefish or another member of the #reefsquad will know.

~Bruce

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along, as soon as OP posts a pic, I hope we can help :)

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my first tank many years ago, prior to learning the importance of quarantine, I introduced 2 chromis and 2 clowns into my tank as the first fish. The two chromis developed classic red splotches characteristic of uronema and died after a couple of days. They were listless, flashing, not eating, and overall doing poorly prior to their demise. The clowns developed the same symptoms with the exception of the indurated splotches (though with black and white ocellaris it can be harder to tell). They had no exterior signs of disease. They died as well a couple of days later. I am confident that the chromis had uronema. I can't say for sure that the clowns did, but their "sick behavior" was identical. However, they certainly could have had brook or velvet or god knows what else. I have read that clowns can get it, though. I'd be interested in seeing a pic as well.
Best of luck

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through this with my harem of percula, not sure if it was urnema, Brooklynella or velvet. I put all my clowns in QT showing the same signs... mine had small red blotches some stringy white slimy mucus coming off of them, loss of color and Appetite, pop eye.

I decided to try FRITZ Mardell products and of as of right now I’ve saved them... fingers crossed, I lost one of my five Clowns.

Today marks day 5 of using the Fritz Mardel bacterschield and protschield.

Today the 4 clowns I have left are all eating like pigs no visible signs of illness splotchiness gone, color back, heavy breathing gone. Slime gone. I lost the clown that had pop eye as he was the sickest of them all.
This product saved me in a pinch.

F1466222-DBC1-4F52-92B7-7C91211CA8CF.jpeg

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first put them in top picture qt 24hrs after first adding to QT dead fish at top left, sick fish on bottom, one fish swimming vertically breathing hard. To 72hrs later. bottom pics, fish doing much better. Just sharing an experience I just had. I couldn’t exactly pinpoint which disease they had as they had a multitude of them I’m assuming.

Its hard to tell what diseases fish have unless you are an expert, as I quickly found out. instead I took the broad approach and treated for them all.

My LFS told me copper is ineffective against protozoan parasites? is this true @Humblefish

9DFC5E0E-A1B8-43B0-BF04-3289C6DDA958.jpeg

71922E21-1FD9-4FCF-A3C7-863C7D18E0E9.jpeg

42A77BD7-FBD1-44F8-8176-63C6F4722899.jpeg

Last edited:

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what’s the major ones you would say it cures for sure ? Reason for asking is I like to keep all good meds on hand and I’m about to make a petco stop they have a sale going on today.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through this with my harem of percula, not sure if it was urnema, Brooklynella or velvet. I put all my clowns in QT showing the same signs... mine had small red blotches some stringy white slimy mucus coming off of them, loss of color and Appetite, pop eye.

I decided to try FRITZ Mardell products and of as of right now I’ve saved them... fingers crossed, I lost one of my five Clowns.

Today marks day 5 of using the Fritz Mardel bacterschield and protschield.

Today the 4 clowns I have left are all eating like pigs no visible signs of illness splotchiness gone, color back, heavy breathing gone. Slime gone. I lost the clown that had pop eye as he was the sickest of them all.
This product saved me in a pinch.

F1466222-DBC1-4F52-92B7-7C91211CA8CF.jpeg

Fritz-Mardel makes some fine products ... I'm not convinced that these are among them. To date, there is no known "reef-safe" treatment for ich or velvet. These bottles claim to "provide relief for unwelcome parasites" - that's not what I want when I'm treating for diseases. I want those parasites and diseases _gone_, and these "shields" aren't making that happen. They may help the fish's immune system, or provide some soothing effect - but I'm not sure that they're not the equivalent of treating pneumonia with Purell. I'm glad to hear that they're getting the job done for you so far though - keep us posted!

My LFS told me copper is ineffective against protozoan parasites? is this true @Humblefish

Ich and velvet are the big protozoan parasites we encounter in our tanks - and copper kills them. Dead. It's one of two chemical preparations that will eradicate both diseases, the other being Chloroquine Phosphate. Copper, however, is a poison - it usually kills the parasites before it kills the fish, but some fish can be sensitive. Both copper and CP have their greatest effect on the free-swimming stage of the parasite's lifecycle - they don't kill the bugs _on_ the fish, but keep the fish from being re-infested.

~Bruce

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz-Mardel makes some fine products ... I'm not convinced that these are among them. To date, there is no known "reef-safe" treatment for ich or velvet. These bottles claim to "provide relief for unwelcome parasites" - that's not what I want when I'm treating for diseases. I want those parasites and diseases _gone_, and these "shields" aren't making that happen. They may help the fish's immune system, or provide some soothing effect - but I'm not sure that they're not the equivalent of treating pneumonia with Purell. I'm glad to hear that they're getting the job done for you so far though - keep us posted!

Ich and velvet are the big protozoan parasites we encounter in our tanks - and copper kills them. Dead. It's one of two chemical preparations that will eradicate both diseases, the other being Chloroquine Phosphate. Copper, however, is a poison - it usually kills the parasites before it kills the fish, but some fish can be sensitive. Both copper and CP have their greatest effect on the free-swimming stage of the parasite's lifecycle - they don't kill the bugs _on_ the fish, but keep the fish from being re-infested.

~Bruce

As far as being reef safe we are on the same page, that’s why they are in a QT tank. I wouldn’t dare risk my Acros for anything. As far as relief goes it did more than that... Proof is in the pics. My fish all had what I’m assuming was brooklynella, as they were wild caught... which I found out after the fact. However they were all swimming on the bottom close to death, and one did pass on. I would say these are pretty darn good products. I still have my fish because of them!
I get what your putting down though. For me it was what seemed like the least stressful treatment. From experience when a fish is stressed/sick straight into a harsh chemical treatment... well it doesn’t always end well and can cause more harm. I think if I went with anything else I could of lost em all... but hey that’s my opinion. I know I will most likely use these 2 again. Keep on reefing on mate.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as being reef safe we are on the same page, that’s why they are in a QT tank. I wouldn’t dare risk my Acros for anything. As far as relief goes it did more than that... Proof is in the pics. My fish all had what I’m assuming was brooklynella, as they were wild caught... which I found out after the fact. However they were all swimming on the bottom close to death, and one did pass on. I would say these are pretty darn good products. I still have my fish because of them!
I get what your putting down though. For me it was what seemed like the least stressful treatment. From experience when a fish is stressed/sick straight into a harsh chemical treatment... well it doesn’t always end well and can cause more harm. I think if I went with anything else I could of lost em all... but hey that’s my opinion. I know I will most likely use these 2 again. Keep on reefing on mate.
To be blunt, I guess less stress is felt when the fish is dead. Other than that, I don’t see any other benefit of “snake oil” products. They often lead to death, or the fish’s immune system kicking in. If you’re fighting a heavy or serious disease like brook, velvet, a bad strain of ich, uronemia, flukes, etc— you are quite likely to end up with dead fish.

I think your heart is in the right place, please consider treating with proven methods and saving your fish, friend! :)

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be blunt, I guess less stress is felt when the fish is dead. Other than that, I don’t see any other benefit of “snake oil” products. They often lead to death, or the fish’s immune system kicking in. If you’re fighting a heavy or serious disease like brook, velvet, a bad strain of ich, uronemia, flukes, etc— you are quite likely to end up with dead fish.

I think your heart is in the right place, please consider treating with proven methods and saving your fish, friend! :)

If the product is working why stop it? Brooklynella and velvet kill within hours to a couple days correct? I’m on day 5 and they all look great now? And are eating like champs. Sometimes you can’t save them all.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the product is working why stop it? Brooklynella and velvet kill within hours to a couple days correct? I’m on day 5 and they all look great now? And are eating like champs. Sometimes you can’t save them all.
The product wouldn’t be working. Velvet can take longer to kill, brook can take a long time. You can save them, if you prioritize and chose to do so.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend using that in a bath, followed up by Metroplex as an in-tank dose.

Formalin works well, but is a carcinogen. Handle with respect.

~Bruce
Already started with half bath! Stuff is harsh! That’s why I went with alternative methods first! Do you think dosing half in qt would be okay? So 10 gallon qt half dose = ten drops. Full dose recommends 20 drops daily spread between 3 doses at 1o drops each. I am currently doing 10 drops daily per 10 gallon qt.

I really don’t want to cause more harm!

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes half-strength does more harm than good. Kills the weaker strains of the parasites, but allows the stronger to survive - and develop a resistance.

~Bruce

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back