USA Orbit Marine Led

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The standard is good for soft corals and some low light lps corals. The Pro version is good for soft corals, LPS corals, and low/moderate light SPS corals.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 2 pro's on my mixed reef. After a month I noticed my corelline alge bleaching. Switch to Radions and all well again. I'll sell you 2 72" orbit pro's.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for the late response.

IMHO Corals need a 250 watt MH + T5 or for SPS a 400 watt MH equivalent....

I've dived my fair share of reefs and observed coraline on wrecks 100+ feet deep...

Most SPS reefs are relatively shallow...too bad for sailors back in the day...

Sanjay recommended 100 PAR minimum at the sand bed with higher light corals closer to the top...

This is fine for small tanks but for those 24'+ deep I like to see 200 PAR at the sand bed as this is the min that I believe keeps my clams and Red Carpet Happy... For the Record our Sirius XTC provides 230 PAR on my 30" deep Tank and my Red Carpet could not be happier.

Photoinhibition in around 300 to 600 PAR depending on species...For SPS above this the SPS develop photo reflective pigments which make them look awesome...\

I challenge anyone to display a mature SPS Tank using weak LEDs or Chinese LED with a questionable spectrum.... The Proof is in the Pudding...

tank2013-1_zpsab1b0481.jpg

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Current LEDs, but just switched to ATI T-5's. As said above, great light for softies and LPS, but Acros will recede and usually die.

Dr.HarlemTutu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The proof to me is that no one is putting up pics of tanks lit with the lights you are asking about. I'm a believer in t5 and or halides as well. I run 2 led strips for pop, 2 t5 for 10 hours a day and three 250 watt halides for 3.5-4 hours a day. 5 foot sps dominated tank. No heat issues, I run them longer in the winter so my heaters do not need to work so hard, I change bulbs every 24 months.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for the late response.

IMHO Corals need a 250 watt MH + T5 or for SPS a 400 watt MH equivalent....

I've dived my fair share of reefs and observed coraline on wrecks 100+ feet deep...

Most SPS reefs are relatively shallow...too bad for sailors back in the day...

Sanjay recommended 100 PAR minimum at the sand bed with higher light corals closer to the top...

This is fine for small tanks but for those 24'+ deep I like to see 200 PAR at the sand bed as this is the min that I believe keeps my clams and Red Carpet Happy... For the Record our Sirius XTC provides 230 PAR on my 30" deep Tank and my Red Carpet could not be happier.

Photoinhibition in around 300 to 600 PAR depending on species...For SPS above this the SPS develop photo reflective pigments which make them look awesome...\

I challenge anyone to display a mature SPS Tank using weak LEDs or Chinese LED with a questionable spectrum.... The Proof is in the Pudding...

tank2013-1_zpsab1b0481.jpg
I find this funny because of your name

And although I agree with u on the value of metal halides there are nice mature tanks grown out under leds. But that's another long heated battle I don't feel like getting into but yes in my mind nothing beats a halide

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The proof to me is that no one is putting up pics of tanks lit with the lights you are asking about. I'm a believer in t5 and or halides as well. I run 2 led strips for pop, 2 t5 for 10 hours a day and three 250 watt halides for 3.5-4 hours a day. 5 foot sps dominated tank. No heat issues, I run them longer in the winter so my heaters do not need to work so hard, I change bulbs every 24 months.
Agreed...However. I went from the Orbit Marine lights to two Kessils. I don't have an SPS dominant tank however. But I have several SPS corals.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this funny because of your name

And although I agree with u on the value of metal halides there are nice mature tanks grown out under leds. But that's another long heated battle I don't feel like getting into but yes in my mind nothing beats a halide

Thats why we created and manufacture the Sirius XTC. Common LED fixtures like the ecotech are barely the intensity of a 250 watt MH. The XTC produces over 600 PAR at 24" compared to 424 PAR from a 400 watt Radium MH.

An added benefit to intense lighting on a mature SPS tank is their is adequate reflection so the more shaded areas receive enough light for photosynthesis.

DSC_0495_zps7a399bb1.jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why we created and manufacture the Sirius XTC common LED fixtures like the ecotech are barely the intensity of a 250 watt MH. The XTC produces over 600 PAR at 24" compared to 424 PAR from a 400 watt Radium MH.

An added benefit to intense lighting on a mature SPS tank is their is adequate reflection so the more shaded areas receive enough light for photosynthesis.

DSC_0495_zps7a399bb1.jpg

unnamed (3).jpg
That looks gangster

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1065.JPG
Here's a pic with LEDs, and of course, the one to the left, but Orbits a have were not strong enough for sps

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back