use ginger for ich

dave171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope but a little bit of garlic in their food builds immune system up that's what ive been doing and my blue hippo has been doing great!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope but a little bit of garlic in their food builds immune system up that's what ive been doing and my blue hippo has been doing great!

Do you have any evidence or articles that support that garlic helps to build the fish's immune system? This is something that I have been researching off and on. I haven't found any definitive info.

As far as ginger, I would not bother with using it to treat ick.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd not bother with ginger. I see a lot of things in YouTube I wouldn't advise doing.

As for the garlic, I've read that it just makes the food taste better and encourages the fish to eat. I've also read that it can do liver damage to the fish.

dave171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not do liver damage at all. It builds up their immune hopefully someone with even more experience can chime in. It's a commonly used method all the time. It's a known fact and my proof is I have been doing it and my hippo Is now ich free.

OP
OP
M

mikesilverado8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not do liver damage at all. It builds up their immune hopefully someone with even more experience can chime in. It's a commonly used method all the time. It's a known fact and my proof is I have been doing it and my hippo Is now ich free.
How long did it take for your hippo to get over ich

dave171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About two weeks. But since I'm not gonna treat the tank with copper since it's a reef. More than likely my hippo will get ich again so pretty much plan on always feeding mysis shrimp mixed with garlic juice once a day for their immune. I do feed pellets in the morning as well just plain no garlic.

OP
OP
M

mikesilverado8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Has had it for almost 3 weeks I've been feeding it special food that supposed to get rid of Ich and Shrimp with garlic and it still got ich

dave171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm you can go with natural ich treatment thats reef safe. Many say they don't work but if you get a good brand and catch it early then it will work I've also used that and it works great try the brand Mardel or kordon ich attack!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but all your hippo did was build a resistance to ich. Many tangs can do this, and many (Acanthurus tangs like powder blues, powder Browns, Achilles, etc.) can not. You will lose fish in the future when you add them because although you don't see ich, it's still living and breeding in your tank, with very small numbers of them living in the gills of your fish.

It is possible to manage ich for some fish, but many angels and tangs will not make it.

I've kept tangs in tanks with ich for many years and only new additions got ich and were at risk of dying. But I am a very experienced hobbyist, and it was not an ethical way to treat fish.

That said, naso, blonde naso, yellow, purple, Sailfin, Desjardini Sailfin, hippo, and a kole tang once I was able to keep in tanks I did not qt and once had (which means they always had) ich. Add any Acanthurus tangs and it will take over again. I still killed some of those species to find one hardy enough to manage ich. I'm not proud of it, but I did it in the past.

Ginger and garlic and other remedies (other than chloroquine phosphate and similar drugs, copper, tank transfer method, and occasionally hypo salinity if you can manage it properly) do nothing for Ich or most parasites.

Garlic stimulates appetite. For that, it can help stimulate immune health because a fish that is a healthy eater has more energy to fight off infections disease etc. it doesn't cure anything. Ich is still in the system. Ginger I suspect does even less. There's no proof any of those things work, just amateur YouTube videos and completely anecdotal experiences (which again are really just fish building up a tolerance and resistance to the parasite over time). In reality, nearly any reef safe placebo you place in the tank could be credited with them "ridding ich" because in time some fish will just recover without any intervention. Again though, it is still in the system to attack new additions later.

dave171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I love these responses because what does everyone expect to do?? You have a reef tank unless its real small the stress of catching a fish and qt and treating will stress them to the max or even kill them in some cases. And only to bring then back to a display with ich so there's no point! I understand what your saying though but healthy fish do have tendency to fight Ich off and be okay with ich. Long story short until I get my upgrade I'm not getting anyore fish in my reef tank so I'm all set hahah.then I will treat them all and move them to the new tank then qt all new fish!

787will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only TRUE treatments for ich are copper, hyposalinity and tank transfer method. Theres nothing else despite what the labels claim. Ginger this is new to me so i cannot comment, but i probably wouldn't waste my time. As for garlic there is no definitive scientific proof that it does build the immune system. But i do believe that it does make food taste and smell better to the fish which can encourage them to eat more which keeps the fish healthy and able to possibly LIVE with ich NOT cure it of ich. Ive seen fish that have lived with ich cysts for months and months and be fine.

Remember ich has a cycle, i fell into the trap a few years ago when i first noticed my powder blue with a few cysts i started feeding with garlic and he seemed to clear up. I thought id escaped by the skin of my teeth but for only a few days later to discover it had returned twice as bad! My advice if your fish shows signs of ich especially if you though it was gone for it only to reappear, get the fish out and treat with one of the true methods. Don't waste time with 'home remedies' or 'miracle cures' in a bottle because ultimately 99% of the time ich will win to devastating effects. I speak from experience.

787will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I love these responses because what does everyone expect to do?? You have a reef tank unless its real small the stress of catching a fish and qt and treating will stress them to the max or even kill them in some cases. And only to bring then back to a display with ich so there's no point! I understand what your saying though but healthy fish do have tendency to fight Ich off and be okay with ich. Long story short until I get my upgrade I'm not getting anyore fish in my reef tank so I'm all set hahah.then I will treat them all and move them to the new tank then qt all new fish!

No you do not return the fish to the display tank until that has been rid of ich, you leave it fallow for at least 8 week. Ich cannot live without a host. Yes you stress a fish by trying to catch it but it has a much better chance of survival with proper treatment than leaving it in a tank with ich.

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is highly unlikely that ginger does anything to cure ich. I have never seen any evidence to suggest it and wouldn't recommend even trying such an approach. Garlic has been lauded as an immune booster for many years. We are now learning that garlic does very little to boost the immune system of fish, and are finding out that high concentrations can cause more problems than benefits. Years of private research have led me to believe that as long as ich and fish are present in a tank at the same time, ich will remain present until the tank is left fallow for an extended period of time. Another major issue is that ich is often misdiagnosed and in fact another parasite, which may be resilient to copper treatment or hyposalinity. The best measure is rigorous QT of new specimens, along with treating individually infected fish with freshwater baths, copper or hyposalinity. Many external parasites produce ich like symptoms, making it hard to pin-point what is making a fish sick.

dave171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you do not return the fish to the display tank until that has been rid of ich, you leave it fallow for at least 8 week. Ich cannot live without a host. Yes you stress a fish by trying to catch it but it has a much better chance of survival with proper treatment than leaving it in a tank with ich.

Lol so you want me to get 10+fish out of a reef display and treat them. Then let my dt go fallow for 10 weeks while my fish live in a 10 gal qt. How about no , that's just plain dumb I think the natural way works best thats my opinion.

big blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm big supporter of quarantine its the only method for treating ich. As for tangs they are so susceptible to it they can live with it and built tolerances. A tang can be infested with ich but If you can keep your other fish healthy you may never see even the slightest sign in them. As for tangs some get stressed from you just looking at them try to keep them healthy, well fed, maybe add a cleaner shrimp or wrasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back