use ginger for ich

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a FYI; Some flukes are resistant to praziquantel. For these you have to use an alternative treatment such as formalin or Hyposalinity.

I did finally get rid of them using prazi and hypo. Thanks to your previous posts! Really, thank you Humblefish, you have saved a lot of fish.

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol so you want me to get 10+fish out of a reef display and treat them. Then let my dt go fallow for 10 weeks while my fish live in a 10 gal qt. How about no , that's just plain dumb I think the natural way works best thats my opinion.

So you are saying that those of us who highly recommend using QT method to rid of ICH in a system are dumb?
Glad that the NATURAL way is working for you and you livestock had developed immunity to ICH and continue that way. Hopefully you don't make even a slight mistake and trigger the outbreak in your display.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been accepted for some time, or as long as I can remember, that marine fish can garnish a temporary immunity to ich. It's not unlike people getting the flu, then being immune to it for a period of time. I would assume a crypto vaccine in fish would work the same as vaccines in humans. Fish get the vaccine, and for a while they are immune - but eventually they will need re-vaccinated. As I mentioned before, often aquarists assume they are dealing with crypto (ich) and it's another parasite. Often I talk to people who claim to have gotten the flu vaccine and still get the flu - when in reality it's more probable they had bronchitis or a sinus infection. Even if we had an ich vaccine, proven to work, that could be bought and easily administered to fish - I can't imagine it would take the place of a good QT measure.

Developing a vaccine for the flu is a lot more doable because the virus lives inside of the body. It's just a matter of figuring out which antibodies will be most effective at combating the strains we think are most likely to show up next year.

An external parasite, such as ich, spends most of it's life cycle off the fish's body and only briefly attacks the flesh to feed. Nothing is impossible, but preventing that is beyond the capability of science at the moment.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did finally get rid of them using prazi and hypo. Thanks to your previous posts! Really, thank you Humblefish, you have saved a lot of fish.

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. :)

reefingnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not going to add any new point to this thread beyond what is already has been said except that I have tried ginger(probably because of the same video your talking about), garlic from two brands, home garlic, vitamin c, kz food additive, kick ich and few more product (hey a desperate man will try anything) that I don't remember the name of! They all failed. For long term success qt is a must! I reach to this point by failure and I wish it was by intelligence instead! A friend of mine owns a 265g system where he had a black tang for 10 years with ich. Ich would show up for about 2 weeks each year but for the rest of the time it would look just fine he always mixes garlic with his food( someone once offered $1200 for that fish but he refused) but that 1 year (2013) ich came and when it went it took the tank with it as well

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An external parasite, such as ich, spends most of it's life cycle off the fish's body and only briefly attacks the flesh to feed. Nothing is impossible, but preventing that is beyond the capability of science at the moment.

Just wanted to add something else to the above; to clear up a common misconception many have about treating external parasites such as ich, velvet, brook and uronema.

None of the proven treatments have any impact on the parasites on the fish at the time of infection, with the exception of a FW dip and/or formalin bath being used to clear the gills of some of the parasites. Chemical & hypo treatments work by eliminating parasites from the water and preventing other fish from getting infected. Or by "shielding" the original carrier from reinfection. So, for example, if you add a fish with ich or velvet to a QT dosed with copper or CP, that fish will still have to withstand the damage done by the initial wave of parasites. Relief does not come until after the parasites have dropped off.

Tank transfer method works a little differently, as that is designed to outrun the life cycle of ich. But it still does not offer any immediate relief to the afflicted fish. As mentioned above, only a FW dip or formalin bath offers immediate, albeit temporary, relief.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a senior who's had aquariums for close to 60 years and marine for 40 it's been a constant learning cycle. The hobby is constantly changing with new tools and techniques appearing all the time. There are hobbyists here that try and are familiar with most of the changes that occur. I find it a continuing learning experience listening to what members have to say and I have to say at no time did I ever consider myself an expert. I'm just someone with a lot of experience and have definitely learned from many mistakes. Now before I purchase something I do as much research on it as I can and sometimes I change my mind after seeing the pros and conns. I want to personally thank all the members who offer all the assistance to help those who ask for it.

coraljunkee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....so I have 2 many fish and rockwork to qt..not to mention I can't afford a 1-200 gallon gt tank.
I have been researching levamisole and dosed tank last night....i removed all carbon,shutdown lights 4 24 hours and took collection cup off skimmer and turned off UV.....
Snails freaked out so I took them out as i found them as well as brittle stars.
All fish were fine but my sailfin tang,it literally paralyzed him and freaked me out so I pulled him after about an hour.
Everyone else hasn't acted much different and eating good.
After a littlle over 2 hrs I did a 50 % water change and put fresh carbon in but still left lights out for 24 hrs.
Yes I know it's dewormer for farm animals but as of yet I have no fatalities and it seems to be working.
NOT SAYING IT WORKS BC I JUST STARTED TREATMENT BUT I'M HOPING IT DOES.
My fish all were QT for over 6 weeks and the only 2 fish i added were treated in copper so i dont think it was them and yet somewhere it got in.
Anyway I'll try to post in a couple days.
NOTE......i did my dose a littlle under to be safe.
3g for 200 gallons......i also calcullaated down to 200 from about 300 bc I have a ton of rock.
In rather use less than overdose.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....so I have 2 many fish and rockwork to qt..not to mention I can't afford a 1-200 gallon gt tank.
I have been researching levamisole and dosed tank last night....i removed all carbon,shutdown lights 4 24 hours and took collection cup off skimmer and turned off UV.....
Snails freaked out so I took them out as i found them as well as brittle stars.
All fish were fine but my sailfin tang,it literally paralyzed him and freaked me out so I pulled him after about an hour.
Everyone else hasn't acted much different and eating good.
After a littlle over 2 hrs I did a 50 % water change and put fresh carbon in but still left lights out for 24 hrs.
Yes I know it's dewormer for farm animals but as of yet I have no fatalities and it seems to be working.
NOT SAYING IT WORKS BC I JUST STARTED TREATMENT BUT I'M HOPING IT DOES.
My fish all were QT for over 6 weeks and the only 2 fish i added were treated in copper so i dont think it was them and yet somewhere it got in.
Anyway I'll try to post in a couple days.
NOTE......i did my dose a littlle under to be safe.
3g for 200 gallons......i also calcullaated down to 200 from about 300 bc I have a ton of rock.
In rather use less than overdose.
This is a rather old thread, you might want to make a new post about your experience and include what all livestock you have, like types of corals, other inverts etc. I'm sure people would be interested to hear how this turns out

Pigoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not do liver damage at all. It builds up their immune hopefully someone with even more experience can chime in. It's a commonly used method all the time. It's a known fact and my proof is I have been doing it and my hippo Is now ich free.
You using ginger?

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About two weeks. But since I'm not gonna treat the tank with copper since it's a reef. More than likely my hippo will get ich again so pretty much plan on always feeding mysis shrimp mixed with garlic juice once a day for their immune. I do feed pellets in the morning as well just plain no garlic.
I got a small ich outbreak in my 75g reef tank with a scopas, powder brown and sailfin tang, would you recommend garlic or Ginger as a remedy? Fish still eating like usual.

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm you can go with natural ich treatment thats reef safe. Many say they don't work but if you get a good brand and catch it early then it will work I've also used that and it works great try the brand Mardel or kordon ich attack!
I use the ground ginger and it works like a charm. Dosing is 1/4 of a teaspoon per 20g. 3 times a day

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back