Use of Fluconazole

  • Thread starter Thread starter cutter2001
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cutter2001

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 26, 2025
Messages
95
Reaction score
77
Location
McAllen
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what dangers of using fluconazole to treat green algae are. Seems like a no brainer if water parameters are ok.

Your thought?
 
Just wondering what dangers of using fluconazole to treat green algae are. Seems like a no brainer if water parameters are ok.

Your thought?
Ive seen it harm certain coral and is an alternative, and at times not a solution.
What type of algae are you contending with?
 
I've never had an issue with it. I used it for severe green hair algae and bryopsis.
 
Just wondering what dangers of using fluconazole to treat green algae are. Seems like a no brainer if water parameters are ok.

Your thought?
Ive seen it harm certain coral and is an alternative, and at times not a solution.
What type of algae are you contending with?
Just early green algae. No hair yet. My phosphates have been high so I’m correcting that first.
 
Clean up crew is doing a pretty good job of controlling it so far. I just have heard horror stories of green hair algae, and fluconazole seems like an easy solution. I just wonder why more peeps do t use it. I know it can suck O2 out and drive nutrients up, but so do a lot of things.
 
Just early green algae. No hair yet. My phosphates have been high so I’m correcting that first.
No need for flux... let cleaners do their thing
 
Just wondering what dangers of using fluconazole to treat green algae are. Seems like a no brainer if water parameters are ok.

Your thought?

I prefer to use other types of control whenever possible. While reports of direct toxicity of fluconazole seem limited to SPS corals, the subsequent die-off of the algae in a tank can release toxins from inside the algae, was well as depress dissolved oxygen levels.

Here is a thread from this morning:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mystery-tank-crash-from-caulerpa.1150121/
 
Had a favia just die over the past 24 hours. Went from plump water logged tissue to RTN and dead in <24 hours. Everyone else looks ok though. Have not used flucanazole, but PO4 was elevated for the past two days and used Tropic Marin's phosphate remover. Could that have killed that coral if the others look ok?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new