USE OF GAC FOR THE TREATMENT OF SEA WATER

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activated carbon filtration (AC) is effective in reducing certain organic chemicals and chlorine in
water. It can also reduce the quantity of lead in water although most lead-reducing systems use another filter medium in addition to carbon. Water is passed through granular or block carbon material to reduce toxic compounds as well as harmless taste and odor-producing chemicals. The study examined the use of granular activated carbon (GAC) pre-treatment for minimization of seawater contents and removal of organic micro pollutants. (KavitaKulkarniEnCo2016>use-of-granular-activated-carbon-for-the-treatment-of-sea-water.pdf, n.d.
https://www.tsijournals.com/article...ted-carbon-for-the-treatment-of-sea-water.pdf)

In this study GAC is used as pre-treatment for making drinking water out of seawater. TDS, Magnesium, Sodium Sulphate and Calcium carbonate, present in seawater, was reduced by approximately half .

How the results of this experiment can be combined with the use of GAC in reefaquaria? Is it an other type of GAC we use in seawater aquaria?

Last edited by a moderator:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Belgian Anthias

pre-treatment for minimization of seawater contents and removal of organic micro pollutants. (KavitaKulkarniEnCo2016>use-of-granular-activated-carbon-for-the-treatment-of-sea-water.pdf, n.d.

I would not consider micro fauna and fana in natural sea water to be “organic micro pollutants”. The “microbial loop” feeds the reef.

For certain, their are differrent types of GAC just as their are differrent types of DOC. The particular study that you linked was conducted with the end result of producing potable water.

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Belgian Anthias

pre-treatment for minimization of seawater contents and removal of organic micro pollutants. (KavitaKulkarniEnCo2016>use-of-granular-activated-carbon-for-the-treatment-of-sea-water.pdf, n.d.

I would not consider micro fauna and fana in natural sea water to be “organic micro pollutants”. The “microbial loop” feeds the reef.

For certain, their are differrent types of GAC just as their are differrent types of DOC. The particular study that you linked was conducted with the end result of producing potable water.

Not exactly. The study shows what GAC can remove from seawater after a certain short HRT., from 30 to 150 minutes. In that contact time the GAC removes about half the content of Calcium carbonate, Sodium , Magnesium en Sulphate.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These results are not what I would expect. Has anyone attempted to repeat these observations? Should be pretty simple to verify the impact of GAC on magnesium and calcium.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 2: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria
By Ken S. Feldman, Lauren F. Vernese, Karl T. Mueller, Kelly M. Maers
Chemistry Department, The Pennsylvania State University. In Part 2, the authors will discuss the results of their research and make some recommendations to the aquarist on its usage.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 2: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria
By Ken S. Feldman, Lauren F. Vernese, Karl T. Mueller, Kelly M. Maers
Chemistry Department, The Pennsylvania State University. In Part 2, the authors will discuss the results of their research and make some recommendations to the aquarist on its usage.

What is the connection to the removal of inorganic cations?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back