Use of plants to lower atmospheric co2 for ph stability

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
co2 absorption would reduce when it stopped growing imo. Its got a sprawling growth habit so if you grew them on a living wall or a pot tree or even hanging baskets it wouldnt be impractical. To lower the expense of the plants you could propagate them in jars of water. One wall of your house 2 florescent fixtures and some pvc and water. Star

Ya I understand, but keep in mind that approach is still only going to lead to a 10-15% reduction with dozens of plants (best case scenario). That wont likely be enough to impact PH any noticeable amount. The other issue is if your indoor co2 is 1000 it is that way for a reason.... in other words in the controlled experiment they started with 1000 and provided no additional co2 over time. In the real world you will be adding more co2 to the air so you will never actually hit the same reduction as the controlled studies.

I am not trying to be argumentative I just had looked into this long ago and there are several studies and it always seems that in a real world situation there is no real practical application of this. If you want a room full of plants then go for it, but would suggest not doing so expecting a real impact to your PH.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I understand, but keep in mind that approach is still only going to lead to a 10-15% reduction with dozens of plants (best case scenario). That wont likely be enough to impact PH any noticeable amount. The other issue is if your indoor co2 is 1000 it is that way for a reason.... in other words in the controlled experiment they started with 1000 and provided no additional co2 over time. In the real world you will be adding more co2 to the air so you will never actually hit the same reduction as the controlled studies.

I am not trying to be argumentative I just had looked into this long ago and there are several studies and it always seems that in a real world situation there is no real practical application of this. If you want a room full of plants then go for it, but would suggest not doing so expecting a real impact to your PH.
I believe you could reach higher than 15% I worked in a 25000 sq foot facility that had to supplement co2 during the day now that's an extreme example that was alot of plants. I don't believe your being argumentative at all i started this post to get other people opinions I hope I'm not coming off argumentative myself. Lets say you take an 87 pocket wall planter and had all of then planted with prayer plants they would presumably reduce co2 by at least 15% keeping it from building up in the first place.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the rate of co2 import in the average house would have to be determined but its my belief you could export the co2 at the rate it was building if not exceed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back