Use old desk to build new tank stand

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used 5ft long 100g tank and stand. The stand looks like crap. I want to build a new one. My office has this extra desk laying around. Does anyone think I could use it to build a new stand? Would it hold the tank? I would build it to the same length and depth of the tank so the tank would sit right on the walls. The wood does seem to be the pressed wood, but a thick high quality type. Most of the wood is 1 inch thick.

Desk.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used 5ft long 100g tank and stand. The stand looks like crap. I want to build a new one. My office has this extra desk laying around. Does anyone think I could use it to build a new stand? Would it hold the tank? I would build it to the same length and depth of the tank so the tank would sit right on the walls. The wood does seem to be the pressed wood, but a thick high quality type. Most of the wood is 1 inch thick.

Desk.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I know some aquarium stands are built with pressed wood but they are treated for extra water resistance (or at least they are supposed to be). My biggest concern would be water wicking into the wood and weakening it. I'm sure with a little redesign it would work for a year or two but after that I would be concerned.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back