Used algae fritz clean out & fish are stressed

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help!! I added algae fritz clean out 3 or 4 days ago. I have a 60g. 2 clowns, 1 orange spot filefish, blue spotted puffer, and pink watchman goby. I've used this product before a few times without issues. This time the fish are breathing very rapidly and not moving. The clowns seem fine today but were very lethargic last night. I did a water change each day since. Usually only 15% but yesterday I was panicked and dod 50%. To make maters worse I must have added to much salt and my sg went from 1.025 to 1.030. I added about 2.5 gallons of rodi amd brought it down to 1.028. My ph has dropped from 8.2 a few days ago to 7.8 nitrates are only 5-10 (tanks only about 4 months old). I have a powerhead and wavemaker and added and airstone because I was worried about low oxygen but now I'm worried it's too high. Also the fish aren't eating, just the clowns are. Any help would be appreciated!!!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the chemical that is algaefix etc.
New fresh GAC removes the chemical and perhaps also would help with released toxins from any toxic algae cells that were damaged by the algaecide.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is in addition a completely unacceptable salinity shift but don’t feel bad, I’ve done it too/accidents happen. Hold course now, strongest most adapted will survive, agreed don’t use that additive and filter it out and be precise with salinity going forward. Natural selection against the fish is in play now due to the combined stressors, they have a better chance of making it than not

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is in addition a completely unacceptable salinity shift but don’t feel bad, I’ve done it too/accidents happen. Hold course now, strongest most adapted will survive, agreed don’t use that additive and filter it out and be precise with salinity going forward. Natural selection against the fish is in play now due to the combined stressors, they have a better chance of making it than not
Thank you so much for the reply!! What happened is the circulator I have in my water storage to mix salt isnt working super well and salt accumulated at the bottom and I got close to the bottom of the barrel with the 50% water change. But I do feel very bad it wad definetly preventable extra stress. I jusy replaced the carbon this morning so hoping they will be doinh beter in the afternoon.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the chemical that is algaefix etc.
New fresh GAC removes the chemical and perhaps also would help with released toxins from any toxic algae cells that were damaged by the algaecide.
Thank you for your reply!! So I blew the algae off the rock with a turkey baster before adding this/sucked it up with a syphon. There's still algae on the rocks looks dead ish. Could that be holding toxic algae cells? I'm just worried about releasing the algae into the water/causing even more stress right now.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's still algae on the rocks looks dead ish. Could that be holding toxic algae cells? I'm just worried about releasing the algae into the water/causing even more stress right now.
It's fine to vacuum out any algae that can be sucked out easily. I wouldn't just blast it around, but vacuuming is fine.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true too. Learned my lesson the hard way

Patience is the hardest part of this hobby, at least it has been for me. There is so much hype about bottles of this and that that make everything great it's hard to sift through it all.
I've been in the hobby 8 years and learn everyday. My newest tank is on day 146 started barebottom with dry rock so I know where your at right now.
Just a suggestion but anytime you have issues or concerns and think about taking action feel free to post your concern and ask for advice before adding stuff. Of course you'll have to sift through the advise also. When I get advice I like to click on the username and look for posts from that user to see how their tanks look, their experience level etc. Too much advice is just information that has been read and repeated and not experienced.
Sorry for being long winded but I see you a new member and I want to assure you that most folks here are willing to help ;) . Happy reefing

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is the hardest part of this hobby, at least it has been for me. There is so much hype about bottles of this and that that make everything great it's hard to sift through it all.
I've been in the hobby 8 years and learn everyday. My newest tank is on day 146 started barebottom with dry rock so I know where your at right now.
Just a suggestion but anytime you have issues or concerns and think about taking action feel free to post your concern and ask for advice before adding stuff. Of course you'll have to sift through the advise also. When I get advice I like to click on the username and look for posts from that user to see how their tanks look, their experience level etc. Too much advice is just information that has been read and repeated and not experienced.
Sorry for being long winded but I see you a new member and I want to assure you that most folks here are willing to help ;) . Happy reefing
Thank you for that advice!! I get so overwhelmed with all the different advice on the internet because there's so many different opinions! But that is a great idea to look at the members page.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back