Used Aquarium- Chipped Glass

Jboyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made the plunge to buy a much larger tank and found a used 210 gallon aquarium. I brought it home and was stripping out the silicone to reseal it when I noticed a small chip in one of the side panels (the chip was stuck to the silicone). It was inside the tank underneath the silicon seal at the base of the panel (Pics attached). I don't see any cracks in the glass. The glass in the tank is 1/2" thick and the chip is approximately 1/2" wide and 1/16"thick (at the thickest point).

I feel like I could fill the chip with some type of resin or epoxy in case their are any micro fractures (I dont know if this would actually help but it sounds good in my head). Also, it will be completely covered by the silicone seal at the base of the tank.

I would love to hear about anyone's experience with this type of issue. I would love to avoid having to replace the glass panel as that will be a ton more work. But if I have to, I will. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20200802_091411.jpg
IMG_20200802_091428_2.jpg
IMG_20200802_091653.jpg
IMG_20200802_091516.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jboyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think siliconing a strip of acrylic or glass across the width of the tank would help? It would help disperse the pressure and no pressure would be directly placed on the chip. Just a thought.

I can pretty much do anything because it will be under the substrate.

signal7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I had a 125g with a very similar chip that I ran for many years no problem. It was on the right side of the front pane midway up, also on the inside of the silicone. In my case the chip was accessible from the outside edge, so I did inject a glass adhesive (don't recall which one) but I have no idea if it did anything.

How long was the tank used for prior to now?

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back