Used Equipment . . . . . . This should be fun . . . . . . . .

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to repair anything I have that breaks 20 years plus ago and that is few/far between.... same powerheads and heaters running . If it is older original equipment like a skimmer I might take a shot at it, pumps over the last decade or so? Nah, I'll just buy it new and take out the warranty.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of bargains to be had if you do your research and ask the right questions before buying Used. I’m running used RSR 425XL, used Radion G5 XR30s, used MP40s, etc.

All the time, people are buying quality used cars, boats, furniture, appliances, etc. Just have to be smart about what you are buying and the price you are willing to pay.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy all new. What you want.
My .02
D
That's certainly the best option for many, but the cost in doing this would be really prohibitve, and especially if you're not in the U.S. where competition is stiff and shipping rates are, believe it or not, pretty reasonable for you. I know that I saved at least 50% buying my equipment used from sites like this, and that's a discount that's hard to, well, discount.

I swear that I'm swearing off of buying used tanks, though. The price was great on both my IM 40 and RSM 250...but the cost will be just as high. The IM40 has incursions in one seal and the RSM 250 is a total pain to maintain now that Red Sea isn't supporting it.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's certainly the best option for many, but the cost in doing this would be really prohibitve, and especially if you're not in the U.S. where competition is stiff and shipping rates are, believe it or not, pretty reasonable for you. I know that I saved at least 50% buying my equipment used from sites like this, and that's a discount that's hard to, well, discount.

I swear that I'm swearing off of buying used tanks, though. The price was great on both my IM 40 and RSM 250...but the cost will be just as high. The IM40 has incursions in one seal and the RSM 250 is a total pain to maintain now that Red Sea isn't supporting it.
Yep, shipping kills us up here especially lately....no used tanks here ever, I've had two in 20+ years and great luck fortunately, purchased new 90's

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I essentially stopped buying used equipment years ago. OK, sometimes you a find a really good deal, but mostly used stuff is overpriced. Folks want more for their used stuff than they’d be willing to pay you for yours - not interested in playing that game. I suppose for folks that don’t last in the hobby, buying used may be fine ..... but you don’t know that you won’t last at the time you buy it LOL. I’m in the hobby for 35 years so far, with no plans to stop, so for me buying into even fairly-priced used gear is simply a lower cost/reduced useful lifetime tradeoff that makes no sense. I also mostly don’t sell stuff, preferring to just use it up myself.

I will certainly buy livestock from other reefers, and have occasionally accepted buying some used gear as part of the ‘cost’ of the livestock.

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with many of the items already mentioned. Heaters (I had one heat a tank to 90 degrees), pumps (I have had two used pumps die within 6 weeks of getting them), and used tanks that aren't from the original owner or more than 3 years old are not attractive to me. My Planet Aquariums tank is used (1 year old when I got it) and I would not have gotten back into the hobby if I had to pay full price at the time. Used tanks are a personal choice because there is inherent risk and the potential for big losses. If I ever upgrade to a larger tank, 180+ gallons, I will most likely buy new.

Good used buy for me: I bought a Mitras LED light used here on the forums and it has been great especially for the price difference. I wouldn't have gone with an LED for my frag tank otherwise.

Still good but cost more in the end: I bought a calcium reactor complete setup used locally and I had to spend additional money and time on replacing o-rings, tubing, and connectors to stop it from leaking. In the end, that one was still worth it to me due to the price difference, but the upfront savings was much less when it was all done.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to not buy anything that is readily available used. Hobbyist grade equipment already has extremely short warranty windows for the most part. If the manufacturer isn’t confident it’s going to last, why should I be? The cost savings for perceived benefit just isn’t there for me

Apex EB832, people sell them used here for as much as you can get them on sale, no warranty and they only last a couple years when new.

Agreed, I would never buy a Neptune product used. There’s a reason they have a 1 year warranty…

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we decided to get into this back in Nov, we grabbed a FB Marketplace 125g tank with a bunch of stuff for 200 bucks. It was from the original owner but in sad shape. Lots of scratches and although the primary silicone was fine, the secondary was bubbling and peeling up. I resealed it and we decided to use it for a DIY sump. I also picked up a 55g for 30 bucks that was going to be the QT. Ended up taking it apart and using the glass for baffles. Bought a new 55 for 75 bucks on sale for the QT. Included in the first buy was an Aquaclear 110 HOB that we use on our QT tank after fixing it up. So these used items worked out to be good for the purpose we found for them even if they didn't end up what we bought them for.

Ever since we have been buying new. My wife is the main force and financier behind this whole endeavor. She told me don't skimp on stuff and end up buying it twice. So I have tried to do research and buy what we want that will be good for the long haul and not be needing upgraded . We have got some good deals by watching for sales and open box specials.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some very good responses and kept respectful!!
A food for thought question:
Do people sell their used items because it’s a piece of junk to them or is it due to an upgrade or just getting out of hobby??
I take this as a consideration when buying used

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As to larger tanks, I was actually more comfortable buying my 300DD used because there have been some failures reported. So knowing it was set up for a year without issue was actually a bit of peace of mind in buying that particular model.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used chillers, used skimmers, used reactors and used dosing pumps are safe imo
Bought 2 used chillers in the past, both still running, both over 5 years ago!
The used prices in the hobby have evened out a lot, to the point that buying a new chiller isn't much more than a used one.
Vortech pumps and APEX equipment also seems to resell for nearly its MSRP.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED lighting. Most claims are a 5-7 year life span, but is anyone selling a 3 year old fixture at 50-75% off? Nope...

Heaters absolutely never

Tanks, I've never bought a new one except a fluval nano. Check the seams out and go. My first saltwater was started in a slate bottom 20g. I'm not brave? enough to buy a used rimless setup though. I stick to boring marineland and aqueons.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find it very interesting to see the constant stream of WTB (Wanted to Buy) on this site.

Obviously many people believe in used equipment. Also, extremely environmentally friendly...

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look for things I want to buy new and if it is reasonably priced I will try it used before I buy it new.
Seriously the price of powerheads and stuff is ridiculous.
I just can't see paying 500 600 dollars for a powerhead I'm sure it works great but.....
Now if it cleaned itself I'm all in lol
But even the 500 dollar ones you have to clean every month or so

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the very real disease of “upgrade-itis” as well as the high turnover rate of hobbyists, there are many deals to be had in the used market. You just need to be patient and be willing to pull the trigger when the opportunity arises for a great deal.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to larger tanks, I was actually more comfortable buying my 300DD used because there have been some failures reported. So knowing it was set up for a year without issue was actually a bit of peace of mind in buying that particular model.
Same here. Also got a 300DD from someone that had it running for 1.5 years. I've had it up for another 4.5 years. I have bought just about everything used. But set your expectations appropriately... if you buy used then you have to be prepared for the what-ifs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back