Using a biocube led for 76 day coral qt?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping to get some new corals and maybe snails at a local frag swap next month. I have a spare 12 gallon biocube with the led hood/light it comes with that I use to qt fish. I was wondering would this light be enough to keep soft corals, lps and even sps like birdsnest and montipora digis/caps alive for 76 days? Or do I need to invest in a better light if I want to keep these corals ina fish free system to be sure ich and other diseases stay out of my main tank? If so, what is the cheapest light people would recommend? My main tank is a nuvo 10 with a kessil a80. The corals don’t need to look their best, just not get sick in the 76 days

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a similar thing with a LED JBJ AIO. Not exactly the same light, but pretty close. For the QT period not a problem. May not get fantastic growth with high light demand sps. Just have to be careful when moving corals from QT into DT. If you have lights on your display to support high light demand corals, then you will want to start frags low and work them up. The AIO don't tend to come with fantastic lights.

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a similar thing with a LED JBJ AIO. Not exactly the same light, but pretty close. For the QT period not a problem. May not get fantastic growth with high light demand sps. Just have to be careful when moving corals from QT into DT. If you have lights on your display to support high light demand corals, then you will want to start frags low and work them up. The AIO don't tend to come with fantastic lights.

thank you, I appreciate you sharing your experience :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%

Back