Using a canister filter instead of return pump

drdripp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use an Oase Biomaster 250 on a 20 gal tank, but I'm building a cabinet sump. I've heard of others using a canister filter instead of a return pump, the difference being that a filter sock and bio media are no longer required in the sump. Mine would just be a skimmer and a refugium. DT would be a 20 gallon long or 29 gallon with a Shadow V3 overflow. Sump would be a 5.5 Aqueon. Backup heater would only turn on if main heater fails, so usually the temp probe would be far from the heat source (inline heater).

Thoughts on this design?
Sump.png

Some questions:
  • Is there any disadvantage to having the mechanical/biological filtration after the refugium?
  • Is a non-adjustable pump (AC pump in Biomaster) going to be an issue with this Bean Animal overflow?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run a setup like that before with all the floss and sponges replaced by reef rubble. The only real downside was the poor flow due to the lift required and small pump. In a >30g tank it should be fine. As for filtration I think it’s going to depend on the flow. If the flow is low enough you might be able to get most of the detritus and other matter to settle out in the first chamber. With higher flow it might make a mess out of the sump if that’s something you care about.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's technically what I'm doing in my experimental undergravel filtered 20H. Except I'm using a Tidal 75 to perform the pumping. Undergravel captures and decomposes the system detritus. Final step is to convert the Tidal to house macro algae to process the co2 produced by tank inhabitants and nitrification process as well as final capture of processed detritus into ammonium, nitrites and nitrates along with phosphates. Goal is to later migrate this experiment to my main using an AIO concept where flow is pumped through a closed loop system where whole house filters capture and process the detritus as well as polish the water down to required particle size before running through carbon/ozone then UV and once again final return via a Fuge to solve my system needs naturally. Dosing of required elements will supplement this process. Final option being the use of a calcium reactor post UV and prior to Fuge. Stress free keeping. too old to be changing socks or having to deal with leaks. Might also incorporate one or several FX6 for initial capture of detritus as those using coarser media can go indefinitely without cleaning or at a minimum prolong periods. They also hold a large volume of media. Manifolds will allows more than one path to handle the total tank volume and adequate times per hour along with an option to use different UV based on bacterial or pathogen control.

System will however be run via independent external pumps but concept still the same in that canisters will replace socks being the solution.

KISS

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back