Using a HOB or Canister filter for my 6 month 50 G "observation tank"

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a 50 gallon 4 fish tank for about 6 months before I spend bigger money on a large size red sea reefer.

I am keeping it simple right now and doing a baby blue tang, two baby clownfish, and will figure out what I want to do for the final fish.

I am wondering if I should get a high quality HOB skimmer or a canister filter?

I feel like most will say HOB skimmer but how much will that matter for a lower bioload and if I do decent 20% water changes weekly?

The best local fish store I know in town has each fish quarantined in their own tanks, runs a canister filter on each tank.
From previous experience I realize canister filters are nitrate factories. I was thinking of scrapping the usual biomedia which just traps proteins and using polyfill, some live rock, and some ammonia catchers (purigen)

So- High quality HOB skimmer or canister?

OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, what tank do you have for him to upgrade to?

I havent bought an upgrade at the moment, We have a very large lfs near by (neptune aquatics) that sells all sorts of fancy tanks. I would like to move him to a 150 gallon red sea reefer once he grows 3-4 inches in size

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent bought an upgrade at the moment, We have a very large lfs near by (neptune aquatics) that sells all sorts of fancy tanks. I would like to move him to a 150 gallon red sea reefer once he grows 3-4 inches in size
Nice. Id start the planning as ive seen far too often people end up having trouble upgrading or rehoming. And thats unfortunate

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canisters are fine as long as you clean the filter floss or sponge in them frequently. Weekly or every other week is usually pretty decent. Just more of a hassle than pulling out a sock.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back