Using All For Reef all in one

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend it for 112 total gallons. It’s mostly Sps reef with few Lps. Currently adding 15 Ml of RS alkalinity and 5 Calcium
Also using RS blue bucket salt.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend it for 112 total gallons. It’s mostly Sps reef with few Lps. Currently adding 15 Ml of RS alkalinity and 5 Calcium
Also using RS blue bucket salt.
Personally, I like to use the Carbocalcium (for the Ca and alkalinity) with the addition of the Trace K and Trace A, as a single solution, and then dose my Mg separately, on a larger system. This method gives me control over the amount of Mg added to the system and works out to be a slightly lower cost option.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@danieyella It is quite unusual to see more Ca consumption than alkalinity. Most of the time it is the other way around. I would love to help you figure that out. If you would like to chat about it sometime, that would be great. But it sounds like your more on track now. But please consider going to the Balling Method, instead of a 2 part. It sounds like you are having some great success, and I am not a fan of the excess sodium chloride that results from the 2 part approach.
It's been a bit but I'm about to start adding part c as recommended by you after quite a bit of reading. Since discontinuing AFR when my Ca consumption grew tremendously at random - things have balanced back out *a bit*. I tried the brightwell liquids, not a huge fan. Ended up settling with BRS powders to mix up myself. I do use tremendously more ALK now than Ca in the tank, as you said you see more often.

Some recommendations seem to state to dose part c to the lower of the two. Some state to match your alk. Which way should I be going? My alk dosage is about 2x my ca daily now.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afr takes 24 hours to show a change. I dose and check daily. With this said..I have so many questions for Lou. I know it's been said he'd be happy to take a call, but I worry I'd be bothering him.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a bit but I'm about to start adding part c as recommended by you after quite a bit of reading. Since discontinuing AFR when my Ca consumption grew tremendously at random - things have balanced back out *a bit*. I tried the brightwell liquids, not a huge fan. Ended up settling with BRS powders to mix up myself. I do use tremendously more ALK now than Ca in the tank, as you said you see more often.

Some recommendations seem to state to dose part c to the lower of the two. Some state to match your alk. Which way should I be going? My alk dosage is about 2x my ca daily now.
Dose the Part C in whatever the lower volume of the Part A and B are. In your case, right now, it will be the Ca volume.

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose the Part C in whatever the lower volume of the Part A and B are. In your case, right now, it will be the Ca volume.

Hey there!

I just started using all for reef after manually getting all my parameters balanced and ready (alk: 8.5 | Ca: 420 | Mg: 1320)

I might be over thinking it but the directions are confusing me.

"Increase the daily dosage – by continuous control of the alkalinity – weekly by 2.5 ml per 100 liters (26 US-gal) of aquarium system volume, until a constant carbonate hardness of 7 to 9 °dH is reached."

In my case I'm starting with 5ml and testing daily to make sure the alk doesn't swing too much. Should I be adjusting the dosage daily or weekly? Weekly seems problematic because of a potential downward swing. What am I interpreting incorrectly here?

Thanks!

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Use this calculator to see your initial dosage, watch for two days, adjust, watch again, adjust. etc

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!

I just started using all for reef after manually getting all my parameters balanced and ready (alk: 8.5 | Ca: 420 | Mg: 1320)

I might be over thinking it but the directions are confusing me.

"Increase the daily dosage – by continuous control of the alkalinity – weekly by 2.5 ml per 100 liters (26 US-gal) of aquarium system volume, until a constant carbonate hardness of 7 to 9 °dH is reached."

In my case I'm starting with 5ml and testing daily to make sure the alk doesn't swing too much. Should I be adjusting the dosage daily or weekly? Weekly seems problematic because of a potential downward swing. What am I interpreting incorrectly here?

Thanks!
It really depends on your system. If you see ANY quick change in the Ca or alkalinity, as you are testing, I would correct the concentrations with Balling A or B, and then adjust your dose of AFR up or down as needed. IF you feel your system will change rapidly, then test more often. MAybe even test every day or other day. If you feel it is running more stably, then maybe go 3-5 days. In the early part of the transition you will always be testing more often. ANd then as things even out, less often. The suggestion of changing the dose "weekly by 2.5 ml per 100 liters (26 US-gal) of aquarium system volume, until a constant carbonate hardness of 7 to 9 °dH is reached." is just a general guideline of how much you can change the dosage each week while figuring this out. But all systems are different. If you run into more quesitons during this time, I'm also always available in the office, to chat by phone and go through your specifics directly with you. Always feel free to give me a call! :)

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on your system. If you see ANY quick change in the Ca or alkalinity, as you are testing, I would correct the concentrations with Balling A or B, and then adjust your dose of AFR up or down as needed. IF you feel your system will change rapidly, then test more often. MAybe even test every day or other day. If you feel it is running more stably, then maybe go 3-5 days. In the early part of the transition you will always be testing more often. ANd then as things even out, less often. The suggestion of changing the dose "weekly by 2.5 ml per 100 liters (26 US-gal) of aquarium system volume, until a constant carbonate hardness of 7 to 9 °dH is reached." is just a general guideline of how much you can change the dosage each week while figuring this out. But all systems are different. If you run into more quesitons during this time, I'm also always available in the office, to chat by phone and go through your specifics directly with you. Always feel free to give me a call! :)
You rock Lou, thanks for the reply! Exactly the info I was looking for.

Already seeing good things with the product.

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
I am about to move off of the ATI Essentials Pro to AFR. I used the dosing calculator and based on 139 gal it recommends 26 ml/day.
Any recommendations on switch over methods?

Should I do a 10-20% water change 1st? Been reading on adverse effects of mixing different brands of additives but not entirely convinced it's an issue.

Appreciate any input as always

Thanks,
Eric

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
I am about to move off of the ATI Essentials Pro to AFR. I used the dosing calculator and based on 139 gal it recommends 26 ml/day.
Any recommendations on switch over methods?

Should I do a 10-20% water change 1st? Been reading on adverse effects of mixing different brands of additives but not entirely convinced it's an issue.

Appreciate any input as always

Thanks,
Eric
The key in the transition is watching your parameters and making small adjustments. Start with that recommended dose and just adjust as needed.
A water change is almost never a bad idea. But also not totally necessary for the switch.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using AFR in my 13.5 EVO for about a year. It has been a way for me to cover all my bases in one easy to use daily step. I am dosing 2ml per day into 52 liters. I use the Hannah DKH checker as my guide. I have found my tank uses about 0.2 per day.
Being a Nano Reefer, I don't use a lot of the same tech that bigger tanks use. The AFR makes it super easy. I only top off about 500ml water per week and dose everything with syringes. I really love it. Just my 2cents.

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key in the transition is watching your parameters and making small adjustments. Start with that recommended dose and just adjust as needed.
A water change is almost never a bad idea. But also not totally necessary for the switch.
Thank you Lou! Much appreciated!

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using AFR in my 13.5 EVO for about a year. It has been a way for me to cover all my bases in one easy to use daily step. I am dosing 2ml per day into 52 liters. I use the Hannah DKH checker as my guide. I have found my tank uses about 0.2 per day.
Being a Nano Reefer, I don't use a lot of the same tech that bigger tanks use. The AFR makes it super easy. I only top off about 500ml water per week and dose everything with syringes. I really love it. Just my 2cents.
Thanks for this! I’m a nano reefer as well. I had picked up a bottle of AFR when I was getting started and was considering if/how I would start applying it. I’ve just been buffing dKH with soda ash at WC, but as my consumption rate increases I’ll look at this.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I’m a nano reefer as well. I had picked up a bottle of AFR when I was getting started and was considering if/how I would start applying it. I’ve just been buffing dKH with soda ash at WC, but as my consumption rate increases I’ll look at this.
I would skip the soda ash. Get a Hannah DKH checker (best $ I ever spent on reefing) check once per day at the same time for 5 or 6 days without dosing anything. This will get you an idea of your alk consumption. Then dose the AFR and correct to DKH of 9 (or whatever you like).
In my case, I determined with my coral load and my coralline algae level and my accessory load (live rock and sand mass), I was consuming 0.2 per day. I added 2ml/day of AFR and this kept my DKH at ~9. My goal is to not let my DKH get below 9. That is how I think of my 'stability'. That and keeping extremely strict control of temperature and salinity goes a long way.

Of course if you start adding lots of big corals or you start having substantial growth, you may have to reassess. That is a good place to be.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you are buffing your fresh saltwater at water change, you may want to find better salt or salt that is more in line with your target.

If my DKH is at ~9 and I do a 25% water change with salt that is known to mix up at a DKH of 12. Then my new DKH after water change should be around 9.75 or so. If I do a 50% WC, then my new DKH should be around 10.5 approx. Also depends on batch, etc.

Once you get good at estimating your DKH, you can test a little less frequently. The addition of AFR has allowed me a little freedom and predictability in that.

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the soda ash. Get a Hannah DKH checker (best $ I ever spent on reefing) check once per day at the same time for 5 or 6 days without dosing anything. This will get you an idea of your alk consumption. Then dose the AFR and correct to DKH of 9 (or whatever you like).
In my case, I determined with my coral load and my coralline algae level and my accessory load (live rock and sand mass), I was consuming 0.2 per day. I added 2ml/day of AFR and this kept my DKH at ~9. My goal is to not let my DKH get below 9. That is how I think of my 'stability'. That and keeping extremely strict control of temperature and salinity goes a long way.

Of course if you start adding lots of big corals or you start having substantial growth, you may have to reassess. That is a good place to be.
Thanks, I have been changing over from Red Sea salt (which mixed to pretty low dKH) to TM Reef salt. In the process I’ve been keeping it around 9.5. I’ve been measuring with the Hanna twice a week, so feel pretty good about the current stability. I have quite a few coral frags in there now, but overall the load is still small. To your point, while I was mostly concerned about nutrients at the start, my chemistry/alkalinity is what I’m trying to dial in now.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back