Using classic apex to redundantly control dosing pump and ato

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks that I have similar questions about;

System one runs a first gen apex (now called classic?). I am planning to use a Kamoer X1 Pro Wifi Dosing Pump on this tank to deliver all for reef. The tank is small and consumes 3-5 ml/day. I have a probably irrational concern that a glitch in the pump could result in an overdose. I am wondering what the hive mind thinks of setting the rate on the dosing pump to be very slow and then using the apex to only power the pump on when it’s scheduled to add supplement. For example, if I know I will add 5ml in 1 min at 10 am, I could turn the outlet the dosing pump is plugged into on at 9:59 and off again at 10:03.

Does anyone else use their Kamoer X1 Pro this way? Any problems I might not have considered?

System two runs an old apex junior. I plan to use a Tunze 3155 for top off. The tank is a small all in one. I’m concerned that an ato malfunction could quickly lead to a flood. I’m considering plugging the 3155 into the apex jr and only giving it power for a few minutes a day. If i did this, i would have a built in failsafe.

Does anyone else use their Tunze 3155 osmolator this way? Any problems I might not have considered?

Thanks in advance for your input.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One potential issue with that for the Kamoer is they may use a battery or something to keep the configuration alive after power outages. If they do, turning it off that much will kill that battery and cause it to effectovely factory reset in between doses. If they use true non-volatile memory like flash, then it might be okay. Only way to know for sure would be to take it apart and look for a battery or flash ram.

A concern with using a tunze osmolator that way is that the osmolators prime for I think 2 minutes on startup. A much more reliable method would be to get a breakout box (I prefer some of the etsy designs over neptunes one) some float switches and some mounts for them (you could repurpose the osmolator mount for this). This will allow you to be alerted of issues like switches getting stuck, pump trying to run too long etc and it's a lot more customizable.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back