Using computer UPS for battery backup?

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I know a number of folks have used computer UPSs as battery backups for their ecotech mp10s. Any idea how long they last? I know that a 1500VA battery will only get you 3 hours of running a PC... how long are your mp10s running?

I wish I could use an ecotech made backup... but it apparently automatically puts your pumps in 50% mode.... my mp10 sits in a 4.5 gallon display... it is turned down to the lowest setting. If I lost power with that hooked up I wouldn’t have water in my tank by the time the power kicked back on. Looking into to other options as a result.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know the wattage it uses you should be able to figure it out versus the pc wattage. If the pc uses 800 watts and the pump 80... it should last ten times longer if this basic math is correct.

Ups companies make calculators for this. Just google it up for the brand you prefer.

Last edited:

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually replaced my ecotech batter with an marine battery I could run my whole tank on it for 2 days if needed. (Return pump and powerheads, heater and skimmer)

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cpu backup somewhere in closet. I need to use it for my pump ..

OP
OP
ectoaesthetics

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually replaced my ecotech batter with an marine battery I could run my whole tank on it for 2 days if needed. (Return pump and powerheads, heater and skimmer)

Oooh tell me more!! I was about to pull the trigger tomorrow... holding off til I hear what you did!! THANK YOU!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take the battery back up unit apart. (Drill the rivets out) separate the case and remove the tiny 12v battery that's in it. extend the wiring harness to it and run to a battery. Preferably a marine deep cycle (theyll last longer) or an agm (absorbent glass mat, they typically hold less than a few oz of liquid so they wont ever leak) wire it exactly how the small battery is wired. Ut to the larger one. Obviously you don't want to do this in your living room. You should hopefully have it in your basement or garage... also dont leave the battery on concrete. Always pad it.

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a PC battery backup on my tank for years. I would get about 2-3 hours on my old Danner Mag 9.5 pump. The issue with the ecotech if I'm not mistaken, is that the UPS converts stored DC power, into AC, in which the MP10 then uses its adapter to then reconvert it to DC. Due to all of this, it won't run as long as the ecotech backup will. But for most outages, 2-3 hours is probably more than enough time.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned after hurricane sandy I was out of power for a week, and had a generator but then the gas stations ran out of gas... a week after the power went on we had a snowstorm that knocked the power out for another 9 days. After loosimg everything but my clownfish who loved on a 5 gallon bucket with a bubbler and heater at my fire house for a month I decided to make sure I had a back up to my back up. Haha

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AGM battery/UPS is the way to go. Way cheaper than the Maxspect or ecotech back up batteries and way more power. The ups has the added benefit of being used as a surge protector and some will even clean up the power put out by a generator. another good use for a ups is hooked up to your modem so the Apex (if you use one) can send you an email and or a text to let you know the power has gone out.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned after hurricane sandy I was out of power for a week, and had a generator but then the gas stations ran out of gas... a week after the power went on we had a snowstorm that knocked the power out for another 9 days. After loosimg everything but my clownfish who loved on a 5 gallon bucket with a bubbler and heater at my fire house for a month I decided to make sure I had a back up to my back up. Haha
What is the ballpark cost for an appropriate battery?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an older battery I had for a boat. When I replaced them (for time not bc they were bad) I used that. It's an 800cca ac delco battery.. they cost about 150$

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back