Using echinata to control invasive corals

ScuttleBug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and noticed my branching GSP was encroaching my echinata and the echinata had enough and took out a good 2 inches of the GSP branch. The colony is not fixed and got me wondering is there any danger in moving the colony to kills some disco shrooms in more primes spots in the tank? Or are disco shrooms more potent than the echinata?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and noticed my branching GSP was encroaching my echinata and the echinata had enough and took out a good 2 inches of the GSP branch. The colony is not fixed and got me wondering is there any danger in moving the colony to kills some disco shrooms in more primes spots in the tank? Or are disco shrooms more potent than the echinata?
The only concern I have is the soft coral releasing a toxin once they die....

OP
OP
S

ScuttleBug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only concern I have is the soft coral releasing a toxin once they die....
Ive used kalk paste to kill the shrooms amongst zoas before and didn't notice any problems. I will probably just use kalk paste, but this got me curious if anyone had any experience either accidental or on purpose

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My money is on the echinata. I use to keep some silver/purple hydnophora for this purpose.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back